1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transfer case clunking and output shaft play

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 4wdk30, Sep 11, 2003.

1. 4wdk30

4wdk30 Junior Member

I've a bad clunking when driveshaft rotates, and there is about 45 degrees of play in the rotation in 2wd(high) in my transfer case...NP 205...86 K-30 454,th400, 4dr, long bed factory dually...any tips and I mean ANY is well worth a cold:drinkup:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sound like you must have broken a gear,or some gear teeth maybe.There is no chain in that case,gears only.

Does it do it in 2WD ? 4WD ? or both ?

The play is in which driveshaft ? front or rear ? In 2WD or 4WD ?

Sorry for all the questions,just trying to get an idea of what's going on.

BTW - Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

3. 4wdk30

4wdk30 Junior Member

Thanks wyldman... lets see, rear output shaft (rear driveshaft), its bad in 2hi, a little quieter in 4hi, barely noticeable in 4lo...I guess the thing to do is remove some sort of view plate and give that rascal a visual before removing the unit. I'm not thrilled with the prospect of a costly repair only to have some other integral part fail...do you think replacing the whole unit(transfer case)is the way to go? I plan on keeping this beast in service for a couple more years...a Jasper th400 was installed in apr 03.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sounds like something is broken inside.Disassembly is the only way to find out.

If you don't feel like tearing into it,just get a used unit and replace it.Probably cheap than rebuilding it.I wouldn't be afraid of a used one as not much ever goes wrong with them.They are usually pretty bulletproof.