1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer case 83 1 Ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by farmertim, Aug 11, 2004.

1. farmertim

farmertim Member

Hi all...

This message is for the guy in Michigan or anybody else for that matter that would have a transfer case for a 83 chevy diesel 1 Ton with a turbo 400 trans.
    Its the real heavy transfer case that was used for a only a few years.
    The manual transmission transfer case will not work must be behind the turbo 400 transfer case.
    Also rear axle would be considered as well if price rersonable
    Can pick up of not too far from Wisconsin
    Call 715/462/3076
    or clearvu@cheqnet.net
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Its probably a NP205 tcase. From '82 and up they had a synchronizer set so you could shift from 2H to 4H at up 20 25 mph. If I'm not mistaken, the transfer cases from a fourspeed and TH400 are the same, they just have a different adapter housing and sleeve...ie: you can reuse your existing ones.

Your first order of business should be to identify the transfercase positively. There were two in '83, a cast iron NP205 (has provisions for PTO) and an aluminum NP208 (no PTO). They should have a round ID tag on them somewhere. Being 'real heavy' and a diesel I would suspect the 205. That being the case, there's lots on ebay.. remember that the older ones will work if you aren't worried about shift-on-the-fly. I have an older one (temporarily) in my '82 3500 Dually.
  3. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

I agree w/ Derek, it should be an np 205.But the manual trans uses a 10 spline male output shaft w/ a sleeve and 10 spline male input shaft on tranfer case. The th 400 is a 30 spline male output on trans and 30 spline female input shaft on transfer case, no sleeve. And the adapters are different.The 205 has rectangle ID tag on center front of case, and 208 has round ID tag on back center of case.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thanks, I wasn't aware there was a difference as all of my stuff it either SM465 or TH350...
  5. hesko1

hesko1 Member

auto transfers

I don't know if i'm the guy from Michigan your looking for, but here's what I know: NP 205 cast iron case gear drive (identify by 2" round steel plate in the middle of the back of transfer case). Absolutely best transfer available. NP 203 also cast iron chain drive (identify by oil fill plug approximately 3/4" in the middle of the back of transfer case). Still a very good transfer case. NP 208 aluminum transfer case chain drive: JUNK. Will break in half if you're half on ice and half on pavement. I have converted all my trucks to NP 205's. I will have my wife post a picture of one of my trucks soon.

1986 dually completely restored and ready to plow and salt