1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer cae fluid

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Clint S, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

This is for my Daily driver 01 S10. In my owners manual. It says to use the auto trak 2 fluid, if I have an automatic transfe case. I do not have an auto button just 2wd, 4 hi, and 4 lo. I went to my local chevy dealer to get the right fluid and they said to use Manual transmission fluid 88861800, but they were out. Napa had never heard of and tried to sell me gear oil which I know is not correct. Is the 88861800 just Chevy's version of ATF for T cases and such. Can I use, ATF or a synthetic ATF, I heard they recommend Dextron VI now, but will probably go with amsoil if I can.
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I just rebuilt my T-case and got advice for B&B here to be specific on fluid......try checking w/him
  3. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I did a quick google and the general concensus is ATF for all but the old t-cases. I have heard the synthetics are really recommended for such use too.
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You can use atf in transfer case in the late 80-to 00 chevys. Thats all that I have ever used in my poast and current chevys
  5. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

General guideline is ATF in the chain-drive t-cases and gear oil in the gear-driven t-cases.
  6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

So I am assuming that unless you have the 'AUTO" 4x4 button you can use ATF or chevys Manual transmission fluid {not gear oil) or even the Auto trak stuff. If you have the AUTO 4x4 you must use the Auto trak due to the clutches and stuff in the case. Correct?
  7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Any of those fluids should be more than adequate for a standard transfer case, the auto one will need the autotrak fluid because of the clutches, like stated. I would just use dexron 3 in the transfer case.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right on the money on all accounts Clint. :waving:
  9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Ran lucky on this one pulled the to plug and none came out and could not feel it with my finger, pulled the bottom one and only about a quart came out. Took about a quart and 3/4 to fill. The t case is much QUIETER now.