1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Jenkins12, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

Anyone know what is the interval to change fluid. On an auto 3/4 diesel. Seems to be shifting hard out of first.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like you need to have your kickdown band tightened.

3. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Every 30K if its a daily driver. Or at least thats what my trans rebuilder told me. But even better inspecting it to see if it smells burnt or off color. You at the time of the filter chang should torque the two band adjustments one inside and one on the outside.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

What transmission? Or at least, What year is the truck?

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I like to do mine every late fall. Always nice to take a peak inside to see how the old cluches are wearing. I find if you keep up on the trans and keep them adjusted and fresh filters/fluid they seem to last longer or at least fewer issues.

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

be carfull when adjusting the bands, make sure to use a good torque wrench and dont mix up ft lbs with in lbs. the band strut on these truck arent the stongest so dont go crazy :D

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If it's a 47RE transmission, check to make sure the throttle valve linkage and cable move freely. The throttle valve controls fluid pressure within the tranny. If the TV linkage is sticking or rusted, the shifts will be noticeably harder due to the increased fluid pressure. The tranny will typically shift a little late as well. The TV linkage is on the left side of the tranny and is attached to the throttle linkage via a cable. It's a fairly common problem on those transmissions.

8. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

2004 i believe its the 48RE

9. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have a 2005 dodge ram quad cab 4x4 with a hemi I was leasing it so i really didnt bother with much on the truck other then oil changes The lease company offered me a deal for the truck i could not pass up so I bought it. Now it has 65000.0 miles on it and still has factory brakes which Im replacing and I want to get the trans serviced and a guy told me not to change the oil in it because the trans
    is used to the oil in it and if i change the oil and filter I will have problems???? any truth to that

10. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

Absolutely not true tells you in the service interval to change the trans oil and filter. I just found my manual and it tells you either 60k or 100k depending on how you drive your truck.

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

in my opinion 60k-100k is way to long before changes, i change mine twice a year which is overkill but im hoping this trans will last me a good 150k :nod:

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, if the trans is on the way out!!! The clutch material in the fluid adds as an friction agent in the bad clutches. Remove the fluid and the trans will stop working in some cases.

The fact of the matter is if you change the fluid and the trans stops working then you were driving on borrowed time. Changing the fluid on a regular interval will prevent excess cluch material from accumulating in the fluid and helps the trans run cooler. :nod:NTM the fact of a dirty filter will cause unnecessary stresses by the restriction of flow. Neglect the engine and it will blow up the same theory stands for the trans.

13. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

Thanks for the info Im not having any problems with the truck everything works just fine I have never beat the truck and as I stated I still have the factory brake pads on the truck at 65000.00 miles, so I would say I have been very easy on the truck. Everyone sayd wow it has a hemi I bet its fast, I reply I dont know I have never got on it to see what it would do LOL The fluid in the trans is red and has no signs of being burnt I have nevr even had to add any fluid to it since I got the truck new