1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Temps

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Feb 6, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering what trany temps you guys are running? I have a 06' CTD and am seeing mid 190's. Seems a bit high to me.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I have a Hemi and I average 150. The highest reading I have ever seen is 176 and that was pushing some really wet heavy snow. My truck does have a trans cooler.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

96 CTD- with stock coolers- I have no idea.;)

Stock it has a trans temp warning light that comes on at like 190 and it has never come on.
    Planning on a temp gauge this off season.

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

190* is not high on your 06 ctd about 180* is avg and i wouldnt worry until it got over 200-210* id say if you see 230* stop and let it cool. remember to put it in N not P and set the parking break, this circulates the fluid.

5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I see around 145 on my 05 F150. Every now and again it will bounce to 160+

Truch has the tow package and an evolution programmer set on towing mode. Really helps to drop the trans. temperature.

6. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Is that the same on the older trucks (2nd gen) My understanding was that the tranny only had full fluid circulation in a forward gear. not in P, R, or N. at least not without an aftermarket valvebody???

7. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

190 is pretty warm but still nothing to scream about. My truck pulling a 32' gooseneck loaded runs at 180...unloaded it's about 155-160.

When plowing it's anywhere between 160-180. Your critical temp is 210+ but I would shut her down at anything over 200 just to be safe.

Keep your tranny serviced and she'll be just fine. I plan to have mine rebuilt after this plowing season just because of the abuse it's taken over the years. I'm on the road so much that I can't afford to have it break on me when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

not sure about the 2nd gens bet in the 3rd gens you have to put it in N if you want to circulate fluid when stoped. i can hit 180 just driving around town easy.

10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

one of the main things is keep it cool. get a deep pan and add about 4 extra qts of fluid.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Nope- Fluid circulation in all gears BUT Park in 2nd gens.

Think about that for a second- in order for the trans to function you need fluid circulation, the only time you don't need it is when you're not intending on moving- hence none in park to save pump wear.

12. PLOWIN DOUGH

PLOWIN DOUGH Member

Just installed a lil tranny cooler in my truck. It was only like $30 and took prolly an hour to install, prety easy. I did this cause in that last blizzard my stock trans temp light keep coming on.

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

my chevy is running a consistant 180 plowing... 160 at the most driving around... I've seen 190 once or twice, nothing crazy tho... your all good