1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans temp

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blueline38, Feb 18, 2008.

1. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

ok, I bought a 2007 silverado 1500 with the 4.8. It has the tow package but apparently not a transmission cooler. I transfered my suburbanite plow from my 02 f150 and just had it installed on this truck. The problem is, when lifed the plow is only like 6" off the ground. While driving home from the plow dealer my trans temp was at 205. No lights or warnings came on but I was monitoring it on the built in computer. I'm sure this is too high, especially for just driving. I'm guessing the plow is blocking all air flow under the truck and this is the problem (i was on the highway traveling at about 75mph before slowing to 65) any recommendations!! :help:

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You do wrong way. snowplow suppose not go over 40 mph. Did you see warning label on snowplow say do not exceed 40 mph with snowplow on truck.

you need go 60 mph or less

I would be very scare if I drive 75 mph then sudden snowplow drop to highway then it could crush frame then you could get kill due snowplow bite highway to hard enough stop truck from 75 mph to 0 in 3 sec then your head hit on steer so hard.

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

What size plow are you running? Regardless, 6 inches is a little low for my liking. I would definitely put some timbrens in that as well as turn up the torsion bars a few turns. As far as the trans temp, that's definitely high and I wouldn't by driving down the highway at 75 with a plow. You can always get an aftermarket transmission cooler and that should help substantially. Good Luck.

4. slow down

45-50 would be better travel speed
    75 is quite a load and the RADIATOR was not getting enough air flow- IMO

It isnt the airflow under the truck, since the cooler is in front of the radiator.

205 F may not be too bad considering your speed.
    But you dont want to go over the red zone which may be 250F

I changed to synthetic fluids (Amzoil) to buy some margin of safety..
    tc

5. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

the suburbanite is 21" tall and 7'4" wide and weighs around 250lbs. It might be more than six inches but not much. my ford frame must have been higher because the plow was much higher when raised. I never had a problem with that truck but i know it had an external cooler. I always drove that truck at 65 with the plow with no problems. I know they say to not drive over 40mph but please.............. no one around here with a plow drives that slow!! i would get passed by every car on the road, including old people and probably flipped the bird as well! Thanks for your input, any ideas on good aftermarket coolers?

6. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

avitare, just read your post. my plow doesn't pass the bumper in height but is it possible the air is routed over the grille? I usually take the plow off to travel anyway since it comes off easy. I dont know what is red line because i dont have a guage with a "red line". I haven't plowed with it yet so i will wait and see! thanks again

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I don't care what they are but I don't want risk my truck's engine. My truck can't go over 55 mph on highway.

Well honest just don't ever think you are old people drive slow on new truck?

I do want drive my truck at 65 mph but my engine would be explosive because it run at 3,500 rpm at 70 mph. why it have oversize tires plus owner change gear ratio to high so it have much power but not fast.

Try get electric fan on that radiator that should help?

8. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i will check into getting a cooler, there not that expensive, the labor will cost me more! I will probably look into a lift kit too. I have coil over shocks in the front so I can buy spacers fairly inexpensive too.

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Look into a 6 pass trans cooler. You'll need some rubber extension lines and a simple tubbing flair kit you can probably borrow for free at the auto store. 205 is too high. under 200 at most.

I have the new body style chevy ... the tiny cooler and the big pump from the mvp plus blocked all the air flow until I got a 6 pass installed. night and day difference!

10. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

will do, thanks scottL

11. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

ok, so I got two plus feet of snow last night :angry: Started plowing any my temp starting climbing. It got to around 150degrees and I parked it and let it idle while I shoveled out the wife. My truck rose to 105degrees sittting still. I looked and the two huge electric fans behind the grille aren't turning on. I called Western and they don't see how anything they did would have caused this and frankly, neither do I. The chevy dealer can't get it in until friday! I checked fuses all appear to be good. I'm at a loss, everything was fine!!:angry:

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with your fuses or fans. They wouldn't come on at 150 and defiantly not 105. Thats not even up to proper operating temp. I would say you simply need to get a tranny cooler. What does the dealer say the temp should be?

13. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

sorry........205 degrees sorry and they didn't say what was normal. it just seems high to me!

14. aklandscape

aklandscape Junior Member

I'm not sure if this is totally correct but the tranny lines go through your radiator and is cooled and sent back. You may want to see what temp your engine is running at because your eventually going to be at the same temp as your engine seeing that both are being cooled by the radiator.This isn't always the case though because it is sometimes determined by how much work your doing with the truck. Something you may try is changing transmission fluid. Sometimes the fluid breaks down and doesn't shed heat like it is supposed to. I may be all wet with this theory though. A cooler is also a good step in the right direction.

15. scottL

new2chevy,

I'm guessing your talking about the NBS Silverado and the trans temp based on your pict. I have the 2500hd plow prep NBS and 6.0L. I had two posts on this site regarding the trans temp issue. One of the posts was pulled - not sure why as it was educational based and not bashing.

In any case the NBS Chevy as a tiny little trans cooler right behind the Chevy bow tie logo. Obvious problem. The gist is it will not get proper air in most cases. In most cases most people do not watch their trans temp gauge and will be claiming warranty sooner than later. There are cut offs in power when the trans hits around 200 and around 220.

Talk to the manager of the service department. Explain the problem of the air flow and plow combination. Chevy knows of it, GM knows of it, Western knows of it. Your Chevy guy should contact his regional rep for warranty approval of a new inline 6 pass trans cooler. However, keep in mind that you have the smaller engine and electric fans - I have the 6.0L and regular high flow fan - don't think that should matter.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=47438

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  16. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

well my trans got up to 230 today at its highest. the electric fans dont appear to be coming on even at that temp. I also got no warning at that temp either. The temp did drop to 219 after that. If that is where the cooler is then it is completely blocked by the hyraulic pump as well!! I ask about the new cooler, the only problem will be that chevy does not offer the plow prep on this truck so I'll end up paying for the cooler i'm sure but we'll see. I didn't watch my temp before putting the plow on, monday, so i don't know what is normal or too high. thanks

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  17. scottL

If you have no plow prep package then your probably SOL. At this point I would go and have the trans fluid power flushed - at 230 it's turning to junk. Have them check out the fans ... They kick on by engine temp not trans temp. I found in the 6.0L that the engine temp never had a problem only the trans.

The trans kit is about $100 bucks on avg. You could probably have the deal install it for 30 minutes labor if they are doing the power flush. Mine was installed on the passenger side verticle ( so the length was up and down ). You'll have to figure out the size ... but, it will be a 6-pass.

18. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

chevy only offers the plow prep for the 1500 on the reg cab models only. Thats why i have the plow that i do. my engine temp is around 220 and still no fans so its going in to get looked at but i will have them put a tranny cooler in too!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  19. scottL

I think the plow prep package is pretty limited. Skid plates, aux trans cooler, heavier torsion bars. You have the 4.8L engine which has fuel management which shuts off cylinders and probably a smaller trans. This two items I would ask someone at the shop about their abilities.

20. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i might be wrong but i believe the 4.8 doesn't have the fuel managment. I think that starts with the 5.3......................again, could be wrong. The trans is the four speed auto! I traded in my ford and had this plow on it. I asked if this truck would handle this plow and was told "absolutely, we have that plow on colorado's". yes the plow prep is a cooler, bigger alternator, headlight wiring and wiring for a roof mounted lamp. the 1500's are coil over shocks in the front so it does nothing for the suspension. Thats also why I went with the z71 because they told me the front springs are stiffer for the off road suspension and would be better for a plow!