1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Temp.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Turkey, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Turkey

Turkey Member

Those with aux trans temp gauges, what are you seeing for trans temps when plowing? I'm seeing about 130°-140° for general plowing, maybe 160° max when snow is heavier. These numbers seem a little low to me?
  2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Why would you want them higher? You generally want the trans temp as low as possible.
  3. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

It is my understanding you only want your trans. to run hot enough to vaporize the water out of the fluid that forms from condensation (super tiny amount). Sounds like your temps are right on. You could do a google search and find a chart for what temps atf breaks down to see how high temps kill the fluid. I think non synth. fluid goes south around 220F and has it's longest lifespan around 175F.
  4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I agree the temp does seem a bit low, but what cooler do you have?
  5. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Alldata says normal 150f-170f for that truck.
  6. Turkey

Turkey Member

Everybody always says how hard plowing is on an auto trans and how the trans fluid should be changed every year, so given these statements I was expecting to be seeing 175°-200° temps on a regular basis

For my daily driving, 20 miles to work, my gauge doesn't move. Plowing it takes at least 30-45 minutes before the temp goes above the 100° minimum on the gauge. I'm more concerned with whether or not my gauge is reading & installed accurately than with what the actual temp is.

My transmission coolers are the Ford factory stuff. Oil to water through the radiator, then oil to air in the factory secondary cooler. The only modification was to remove the rubber flap under the bumper to get more air flow to the oil to air trans cooler. My plow dealer actually removed it when he installed my plow.
  7. all the above is true

The temps you are seeing are the norm for my trucks since '99.
    I always thought it was low until I had some slow plowing in super wet heavy.
    Try pushing up a few wet banks and watch the temp rise.
    Or plow a construction site with sand as a base,..and be glad you have a gauge.

I worked closely with a good trans shop in our big/little municipality in NW Michigan
    where Sheriff and State Police vehicles are serviced regularly and plow trucks get
    prepped or fixed in the last 30 yrs.
    Wayne (D&W Auto in Traverse City) set me up with Synthetic fluid, a cooler and a
    temp gauge for my '92. After 3 years he serviced the trans and it was perfect.
    We were both impressed.

As stated, the synthetic will tolerate higher temps (if you have a problem). When you
    get the normal trans fluids too hot, the damage is irreversible. Then it smells burnt,
    because it is. Synthetic buys you a comfort zone.

This is getting too long, but we set up the latest truck with Amzoil ( 15 qts with the
    torque convertor) and installed the T for the new gauge (like the prior truck),..
    now the confusion.. per B&M (the gauge people) the sensor goes in the RETURN
    from the cooler (in my case,.to the back of the trans).
    So, the temp you may be monitoring may also be AFTER the cooler,..like mine.
    Therefore, you probably are running warmer.
    Why it is installed that way, I do not understand. But, I confirmed with Wayne and
    his 30yrs, Ford Racing and B&M.

If you run a gauge and Synthetic fluid, I dont think you will need to service yearly.
    If you run standard fluid and hope ,..then you probably should service yearly.
    btw: in the summer, my temp gauge rarely moves--unless it is really hot out.

sorry for the long thread
    tc,KC and Jetta
  8. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I put a EDGE Evolution unit in my truck so I can watch everything the computer sees as it sees it. For normal driving around town I run mid 130s on average. On the highway or plowing, I run about 150-160. I have never scene my truck get over 165 yet including towing. I will be changing my fluid come spring and will do so every spring. Its cheep insurance at the very least.
  9. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

My early 99 without the cooler in the radiator but with a 6.0 transcooler runs about
    *110 - *130 all the time with the plow all the way up. Even on the highway. The highest i have seen is *150 backdragging a bunch of docks. My 01 with the 6.0 cooler AND the one in the radiator will get as hot as the engine coolant (*205 T-stat) if you get caught up in stop and go traffic.It will drop as soon as you get moving and get some more airflow. I removed the radiator cooler from the loop and now it stays cool like the 99.

IMHO the only down side to not having the radiator in line is it takes a little longer for the trans to warm up as witnessed by the torque converter not locking up right away. I just drive it easy for the 1st few miles as the diffs and T case fluidhave to warm up any ways.