1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans temp ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Bossplower, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I have a 2004 cummins w/ 9'2" v on it . Pushes great
    What is the trans temp when plowing w/ basic 48 re ?
    I bought a finned pan w/ temp hole in it . Do I need the extra pan or the stock pan will work fine?
    Steve

2. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

The deep pan and a good trans cooler is a GREAT idea on any plow/tow rig.

Do you NEED it? Probably not. SHOULD you put one on anyway? Yep.
    The additional fluid capacity alone will help keep the ambient trans temp lower. The finned aluminum pan will also aid in fluid cooling just a wee bit as well.

I plowed wet, fairly heavy snow the last couple of storms, and with the deep pan and trans cooler, my 727 trans never saw 210º. In fact, it stayed right round 185-190. :)

3. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

trans temp

On that cummins you have one air to fluid cooler and on the right side of engine there is a engine coolant to trans fluid tempering heat exchanger. The fluid is cooled then sent to heat exchanger. If the fluid is above engine coolant temp it cools down the fluid and if below it adds heat to fluid then sends it back to tranny. The tranny will not shift into od until it is above 65F or there abouts. If that truck has a snow plow prep it should not need any more trans cooling equipment.

I have a finned pan with B&D double clutch torque converter and I have been plowing in 0F temps with the trans fluid temp at 250 and the light came on. Pulling a trailer across the desert from Needles to Barstow CA the trans fluid temp was below 130.

Your service manual will show you what I have talked about.

Dave