1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans temp

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by psdiesel24, Dec 1, 2004.

1. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

have a 01 dodge 1ton dump with the 360 well anyway last night the trans temp light kept coming on and off we thought with the plow on maybe thats why we took the plow off and still comes on. Just changed the fluid and filters any idea.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like radiator core might be getting plugged and not cooling water or fluid as well anymore if in fact tranny is getting hot. Can you varify tranny temps? Also, this is a really good arguement for a aux tranny cooler!

3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Have it flushed, they say once the idiot light comes on your fluid is done and maybe the tranny also. Good luck

4. Tarkus

Not so at all. If cooling is limited it will get prematurely hot. If problem is corrected properly and tranny still works fine, I would not give it a second thought.

5. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Hey Tarkus,

Maybe you can help me again.

Can you recomend a transmission temp guage, one that comes with most of what I'm going to need to install it. (Sending unti, etc????)

I have a 98 Dodge Ram....and don't want to kill the transmission.

Glen

6. Tarkus

Sorry I cannot help you there. When I have done it I braze a fitting in trany pan and use a regular temp gauge with a screw in bulb. I have heard of people putting in inline adaptor to read oil temps but if you go that route make sure you put it in the outbound leg of fluid flow. If you have a aux cooler and you are routing oil through radiator cooler first you are pretty safe as long as your cooler has about 100 square inches of surface area or so minumum.

7. edosher

edosher Member

my 2 Cents

I hear your pain, I have a 00 2500 Ram with the 360 / auto and my brother is a service advisor for Dodge.
    As for the temp guage, Auto Meter has a kit for around $60 with a guage and sending unit. Disconnect your "hot" trans line from your trans. You then will need a six pack of beer, your wifes truck to get to the parts store in ( covered in ATF) and attempt to convince the 16 year old kid behind the counter to put the computer away. I used a 3/8"MPT TEE fitting, a 1/4"MPT male X 3/8" MPT Male ( Trans to Tee), 1/4" MPT female x 3/8" MPT Male (direct opposite of trans- tee fitting to line). Then just thread the sender to the open port on the tee fitting and wire the sender per specs. Just do me a favor and double check your fitting threads before hand.
    I have always thought that bigger is better with aux coolers untill I opened my hood. The 30,000 aux GVWR cooler that NAPA carried is still 20-25% SMALLER than a factory trans cooler! The only location for another cooler would be directly in front of your factory trans cooler or you could try to shoe horn it in the drivers side. My brother installed the aux cooler one night half way home on a 500 mile trip pulling his 28' race trailer. (We were having this little/big brother argument about this subject and stopped to prove the point)
    With the additional Aux cooler installed, the trans temp decreased about 7-10 degrees. While every degree counts to transmission failure, 7-10 is not much untill 220-230 when the fluid starts to break down.
    Dodge has a strange thing with it's auto transmissions, the fluid does not circulate thru the lines or cooler in park. After a few hours of plowing when not stopping before shifting gears, rocking a stuck truck, then letting the truck sit running in park while you are inside Dunkin Dougnuts for 20 minutes flirting with another Great One (regular please) will ccok your trans faster than not installing a cooler at all.
    I hope that I have helped, not ranted.

8. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Or get a mag-tech deep trans pan holds extra fluid and has a pre-drilled hole for trans temp. I know its not in the hot line but it will give you a ball park. And yes always set parking brake and put in neutral so trans fluid circulates.

9. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

The fluid is fine was just changed and shifts just fine. dont no the hose going into the cooler is hot the one coming out is cold it doesnt make sense accept for its still under warranty so

10. Tarkus

On a cross flow radiator, the bottom line is the one from tranny and the top line returns.