1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans temp question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

ok so i was going to hook up a trans temp gauge and wanted to put the sensor where the factory sensor is in the trans line. my question is. is the factory just for the light on the dash or does the computer actually monitor the temp in this trans and use it for controlling the trans..
    95 ram 2500
    8.0l v10
    re48 trans

2. prostk2

prostk2 Member

The computer monitors it and when it goes too high--I believe 215F--the light comes on--I am not sure about the temp but that number sounds close--. If you need a heater control with thte light in it I might have one also I might have a couple u-joints for your truck. I hope that helps!!
    Where do you live in Dupage County

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

i am in lisle.

so the question is, does it use it to control the trans and when/way it shifts. or does it just control it and turn the light on when it overheats..so what im getting at, is could i put the gauge sensor where the factory one is. then just take the factory sensor, leave it plugged in and tie it up out of the way.

4. prostk2

prostk2 Member

The computer does not use the sensor to change shifting or to quote "help keep the temp from going higher" The light comes on and that lets you know hey quit driving or plowing before your trans is burnt up. If my memory serves me there is only a light that comes on so as far as what to do about the guage and tidying up the wire--- I am not sure i follow that

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

well i do know this, if and when the light comes on. The computer will either not let the trans shift into overdrive, or downshift it out of overdrive. and also does something else like not lock up the torque converter or something(cant remember). but i don't if that's all the computer does with the info from the temp sensor.

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member