1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 350-CHEVY, Mar 5, 2008.

1. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

i just cooked the trans in my 1990 k1500 this morning and i was wondering..... when i pull the trans, how easy is it to install a temp gauge? i've always wanted to put one on just never got around to it, figured now would be a good time.

thanx in advance

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very easy to do. And very smart as well.

If you intend on using an electric gage, most of them use a sender with 1/8" pipe threads. Simply drill a hole in the pan and weld an 1/8" pipe bung into it. Thread the sender in, mount the gage and wire it up.

If you going to use a mechanical gage, most of them use 1/2 pipe threads on the sender. Simply use a 1/2 bung instead. Procedure is the same.

May just save the trans the from death the next time. :)

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

FYI if anyone has a 1500 - 99-06 newer style GM truck.. If you get the factory cluster from a 2500 of the same year, I hear it's plug and play deal. The clusters are the same except for the gage and truck, It's all factory wired.

4. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

thanks for the quick replies guys

b&b: thanks for the info, if i get the electronic, where is the best place to get my pwer from?

yaz: thanx but as you can see i have a 1990 so my truck is a little old to do something like that pumpkin:

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct Yaz.. cluster needs to be calibrated by the dealer though for the correct operation. (odometer/hr meter, not trans gage).

6. yancy

yancy Senior Member

yep there easy it install as for power to the gauge I would just run a wire to the fuse panel on my 94 I had several terminals that were ran off of the ing.

7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Do you have an aftermarket cooler?? Any plow truck we run into that we replace th trans gets a very big recommendation of a nice aftermarket cooler, especially dodge..

8. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

Yup It Has A External Trans Cooler
    I Got The Trans Out Last Night, Sent It To Get Rebuilt This Morning, Should Be Back In The Truck Tomorrow

Thanx For All The Help Guys

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yes the odometer and hours would be off because it is only stored in the cluster but it would work perfectly other than that.