1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans temp 200 and up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by thomas_e102, Jan 7, 2010.

1. thomas_e102

thomas_e102 Member

I have a 2008 1500 chevy with a western hts on it. I need to get air into my grill and the truck sits low in the front. I have ran with the plow almost hitting the street and side to side. Has hd trans cooler.

2. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

plow in 4LO next time and see what happens...sounds like you have ALOT of convertor slippage going on building up heat. When you get the chance, drain your tranny's system and put in synthetic fluid, for drag race cars it's a fast/easy 15-20* temp reduction over standard ATF.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

also here is a good chart to save and read.

transtemp.jpg

4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Mine does the same. I've spoken with the dealer and they say it's ok because the warning light has not gone off (or come on). The problem is the engine temp runs to high. My engine temp. is always around 210. While plowing the air movement is minimum and the transmission fluid is running next to the coolant. This is causing the two fluids to equal out. This is my guess only but it makes sense to me. I have noticed that the fans kick on at around 220 and the temps will not get any higher. I did have my transmission fluid changed and it lowered it some. Or at least keeps it lower, longer. My F-150 fans kicked on much sooner and my temps were much lower. My chevy runs great at low temps but operates at high temps. Go figure!!!!

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

is this happening when your plowing or just driving around?

6. sweetk30

with todays comp controls ask the dealer if thay can reflash the computer and set the fan temp 10-15* lower to turn on. thay can set that trust me. all the stuff thay can play with on air/fuel mix i am sure thay can set the fan on and off temps.

this might be a good factory fix to help keep things running good and better.

plus it will save them on a factory warrenty replacement do to a over heated truck still in spec but life cut short.

7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Or if it does'nt have it already, add an additional trans cooler AFTER the radiator so it will cool off any temps picked up by the coolant in the radiator...but most trucks are set up this way already,, still worth checking into though to be sure. If you do have one factory, get as big of an aftermarket cooler as you can and install that instead.

8. sweetk30

9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

True, ATF reaches it's optimum viscoious stage at 160*F...meaning it flows and is able to provide proper forces to internals once it reaches 160*.

10. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

So technically, you shouldn't run it real hard until your trans. reaches 160*

11. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

"techincally" but not practical since millions of folks dont have the ability to keep tabs or give a chit one way or another and tranny's seem to be holding up just fine in all sorts of vehicles. We just watch that number bracket racing since tranny temp dramatically influences how consistant we run since gaining/losing .01 of a second in the quarter mile is the difference between winning and losing a round. Years ago my first trip down the track for a time run was junk since the 2/3 time runs would repeat themselves, found out about the trans temp deal and changed my warm up routine to stage first round time shot at 160* and it allowed me to use the first time shot as a solid number to dial with.

Just putting the info out there for reference....much like the TCI chart above with temps and varnish build up...reference only.:cool:

12. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

But all good information. I like how the synthetic fluid can drop it 20* or so. Never knew that.

13. sweetk30

also lots of newer vehicles will not run lockup on convertor till around that temp also.

i could tell when warm in my old 96 c3500 with 4l80-e tranny. highway runs from cold till warm in o/d it would reach temp on gauge then fell the convertor lock up.

14. sweetk30

synthetic do make diffrences in all fluids. well worth there money paid in the end.

my new offroad truck build will get full synthetic in the whole truck.

15. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

It's been a HUGE life saver for alot of racers since we all use high stall convertors, they have more slippage than a OEM convertor so naturally heat builds up quickly, and during the summer it does'nt lose the heat quickly, so guys have have all sort os methods of madness to cool the tranny's down between rounds, but the easiest thing guys are doing is swapping to full synthetic fluid. Alot of dragster guys add external tanks that will hold another 5qts of fluid since it takes longer to heat saturate say 14 qts of fluid vs 7qts...the downside guys quickly realized is it also takes twice as long to cool it down once we get into round robin racing and have little time to do all the things they do to the car between rounds.....

16. thomas_e102

thomas_e102 Member

Thanks for all the help guys. A western dealer said that they have a lot of guys with chevys that have over heating problems. I think I might try to make a air scoop to redirect the air. What do you guys think? I called Chevy and they said that the trans comes with synthetic in it. They also said that a warning light will come on if your trans get to warm.

17. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Think it's time to upgrade to a 3/4-1T and be done....or, just get a Ford and slap yourself for not driving one sooner:drinkup:

18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

didn't the 08s already come full synthetic?

19. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

My two 3/4 tons I have owned have/had never gone over 200*. First one had the Allison and the one now has 4l80e. Always plow in 4hi

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The OEM factory fill Dexron VI is a synthetic blend. It is not a full synthetic. However there's a few oil manufactures that now produce a full synthetic replacement for the factory Dex VI that will satisfy all warranty requirements. Vavoline is one of them.