1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans swap?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

How hard would it be to swap a 700r4 in place of a TH400 in my truck. I heard that the later versions of the 700 are pretty tough and I like the idea of having an overdrive, that is the main reason want to swap. My truck has a 350 and an NP203 t-case. Would it be better to get an overdrive for the 400? I think it would be cheaper to go with the 700. Thanks for the help

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

If the transfer case's are the same on both tranny's it will go right in. I did the opposite on my 84. I took the 700r4 out and swapped in the t-400 but i had the transfer case with the t-400. I just had to take the 4wd shifter out because the transfer cases were different. IMO i would stick with the t-400.:D

3. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

If you want the best of both worlds, get a 4L80! It is said to be a TH-400 with a built-in overdrive. The 700R4 is essentially a TH-350 with overdrive. They were weak at first, but they have improved. I believe that the 700 has a deeper first than a 4L80, though. I had a 4L80 in my 99 chev for 105k and used the heck out of it. Temps always stayed below 200 and it worked really well. One thing I liked for plowing was that it would shift from R to D QUICK. You almost didn't have to wait on it to back out of a pile- it was right there. The 4L60 (computer'd 700) is ALOT slower between gears, but I've never owned a 700 to speak for it.