1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans/shifiting help please!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by srl28, Oct 3, 2011.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Trying to get some things taken care of before the season here, got some time but don't want to get caught off guard. During last season I started to notice a clunk 95% of the time shifting from 1st to 2nd in my 2007 f250 6.0 auto trans crewcab. It hasn't really got any worse, nor has it gone away, and Ive put about 30k on it since I've noticed it.Truck has 105k on it now. No shavings or anything in the trans fluid. Truck shifts and runs perfect otherwise, no problem pulling a load or plowing or driving. I'm no mechanic, what could it be. My older ford (2005 f350) wound up doing the same thing but less frequent and less noticeable around 40k.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

OD light blinking?

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

No lights showing/blinking/etc. Haven't plugged it in yet to check for any codes (I know I should but don't have the scanner readily available so...) Truck never really slips or grinds or anything like that. I think it could grab a little better at times and the clunk is cause for worry but otherwise no problems.

4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

does it do it with O/D on or off or both?

5. kimber750

Before tearing into the tranny make sure you don't have any excess play in the drive line. If it is in the tranny I would start with checking for codes. Did you actually pull the pan down or just drain the fluid?

6. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

O/D on or off doesnt make a difference it seems. It feels as if its something loose in the driveline really. It almosts clunks a split second after it makes the shift from 1st to 2nd. Not sure where to begin looking or what it could be thats all

7. kimber750

It seems the torq shift is well known for this clunking issue. GM claims this normal. If all the driveline is tight, you could have a burnt clutch pack, a bad solenoid or some other internal issue. There has also been some that have engine issues that cause tranny problems. I don't know too much about the torq shift tranny but like I said I would have codes pulled and go from there.

8. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Think thats what I'll do, just don't want to get hosed when I go to a mechanic because I don't know 100% what the issue is. Our heavy truck/diesel mechanic is great I'll see what they find. Any idea of the cost on the torqshift?

Like I said, I've driven the truck about 30k or so since I started to notice this. Maybe a dumb move but it never seemed to affect anything other than hearing and feeling it a little bit.

9. kimber750

I wouldn't think a tranny shop would charge much just to pull the codes, most scanners need an added program to pull tranny codes. I have a friend with a tranny shop and I just pay him with buffalo steaks, I doubt you will find the same deal :rolleyes: If this was a 4r100 I would suggest to start with the accumulator body but not sure how different the torq shift is to the 4r100.

10. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Thats greek to me lol! I've got a tranny shop or 2 near by I'll give that a shot. Feels like the truck could be a little tighter in some respects and looser in others. Something just isnt 100%

11. kimber750

One other thing you can try is manually shifting through the gears. This will take the solenoid pack out of the equation. I dont think it is the pack, but doesn't hurt to check.