1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans, Rear, shaft, U-joints????? WTF

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Does anyone else here have a serious clunk when shifting into drive or reverse from a moving gear? It almost sounds like my driveshaft wants to twist out of the yokes. Took it to one dealer and they said it was normal....I find it hard to beleive.

It's an 04 Silverado w/ 5.3l.

:help:

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I had an 01 2500HD that did the same thing. The dealer told me it was the yoke, common problem. That's when I traded in the pos and went to Ford.

3. Yup, hate to say it but its common. I used to be a Technical Manager for AT&T. Had a fleet of 125+ GM trucks and almost all of them had that wonderful sound. GM trucks are awesome, but they have a couple of imperfections. :)

4. The Boss

Mine also had a constant ticking coming from the engine and it wasn't a lifter, it was coming from the lower end.

5. Hey Boss, hate to admit it, but that was probably the lovely "piston slap" another problem thats "not a problem" :dizzy:

6. The Boss

It just got real annoying if you know what I mean. :nod: I didn't spend $35,000 on a truck to have all that stuff go wrong. :nono:

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Ahhh, piston slap...I haven't heard that it a while....just plain sucks. I just can't beleieve that there is nothing that can be done to correct this. The truck has under 5k on it and the noise was NOT there since day one. My father has the same truck, except his is green :alien: and he does not have this. I also have the famous 2nd to 3rd 3rd to 2nd clunk....yeah. :realmad:

8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

"Piston Slap" is caused by the piston being slightly to small for the cylinder bore and that causes it to rattle a round a bit. It is its worse when engine is cold and generally disappears when it is warmed up. If you have "slap" the only fix is correctly sized pistons for bore diameter. GM has made a lot of 5.3's with this problem that they pass off to sticky rings. The good news is that it is not fatal but it can be very annouying

9. Tarkus

The drive shaft can be a great "antenna" for drive line noise and amplify any noise from worn ujoints or slop in T-case and rear axle too.

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I had the same problem on my '00 GMC Sierra... Never had any rear end problems in the 84K miles I put on it before I traded it for my '04. I did replace the u-joints at like 60k, but it was not related to the clunk though. My truck also had the piston slap, but I pushed gm into giving me a warranty on the engine to 100k...even got it in writing, covered ANY engine problem including leaks, but never needed it. GM will stand behind there products, but like all large companies you have to push a little!!

11. Tarkus

It was easy to stand behind because piston slap is not fatal 99.9% of the time but it is annouying and GM was buy people off with extended warranties. The "right" thing to do would have been to fix engine but it would have run into the ten or thousands of units and not been good for profits for stock holders and such. I would not even remotely say they stood by their product on this one though they did stand by and wait for it to be forgotten about.

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I do understand that the failure rate was small, but at least they did show that if there was a failure of ANY kind with the engine(they did not limit it to just failure due to the piston slap), they would repair it free of charge. I understand the annoyance with the noise, but I did find that it can be some what quieter with 10w30 full synthetic or the synthetic/dino mix oils.

13. Tarkus

Piston slap is not fatal as I said before, BUT, it should have never left the factory that way because it is out of design spec for a NEW truck. Most diesel engines have a lot of piston slap in them by design but you cannot hear it alone with all the other noises present.

14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

As I under stand it most of the piston slap engine have the noise when the engine is cold. This leads me to believe that the slap is due to the fact the modern engines have blocks, pistons, heads, etc. that are made up of different alloys/metals, so they expand/shrink at different rates. It appears to me the the noise goes away after warm up because the parts come into tolerance after heat up. If this is the case, then piston slap cannot really be fixed.

15. The Boss

They never offered to fix mine. I'll never own another chevy truck.

16. Tarkus

You are partially correct. Aluminum pistons expand quicker that cast iron bores do. The problem is not the alloy though as little has change there other than production methods, The proble is that they were not sized properly for the bore to begin with. It does not take a lot of slop to do it as a extra 3 to 5 thousands or a inch over spec is enough to make it start to slap and the more clearance there is the worse the slap will be.

17. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

What amazes me is that manufacturing accuracy is suppose to be better than ever, but companies (any, not just GM) quality is getting worse. I attribute it to all of the outsourcing going on, and poor quality control at the oversees manufacturing plants. What ever happened to quality products???

18. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

My understanding is that piston slap was caused not only by the bore size but also because of excessive carbon buildup on the dome of the piston. I've seen alot of articles on this and alot of guys had great success by switching to synthetic and giving the engine a good scrub w/ Sea Foam.

Anyway, I went to abck into my spot a work this morning, I came to a complete stop, shifted into reverse and applied the gas, I guess the truck has a delay set for shifting because it slammed intio gear and chirped the tires....

Bad Luck prediction 2004-2005 season I will at least have to replace the u joints...this sucks. :mad:

19. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Bad Luck, as you may have noticed by now with some of my posts I'm far from being a competent mechanic. BUT...I know what you are talking about, on occasion my 2000 1/2 ton Silverado will do that, not very often but once in a while...when it happens it sounds bad. My mom's husband has the same truck I do, same year everything. He has the problem much worse, he's replaced the U-joints twice, it helps for a while then comes back.

As for the ticking noise...it's not piston slap. It is carbon build up somewhere in the motor. I don't remember the exact terminology, but my truck ticks once in a while and my stepfather's ticks alot. Both of us went round & round with the dealer over the ticking noise, he finally produced a bulletin from GM concerning the ticking noise and what causes it. They claim it in no way will effect performance or the longevity of the engine. You can do a search on the internet about it and that will provide more details. My truck has been trouble free other then the occasional ticking or drive train "ching". Same with my stepfather, so I wouldn't let it bother you too much. I know easier said then done especially after dropping $35 grand on a truck, but GM is well aware of the issues and I feel would take care of them if they prove to be detrimental to the performance or longevity of the truck.

Just heard about a potential Ford problem last night on the news...seems F-150's spark plugs don't have enough threads on them and at about 60,000 miles some are blasting the plugs right out of the engine and causing $3500 repair bill. An easy fix is to get the old plugs out of there right away and install some that have a longer thread pattern.

Buck

20. Tarkus

I have heard this but I think the carbon just agrevates the problem by minutely changing balance and compression on piston in bore and making it sound worse. If pistons were tight, they would no slap carbon or not, syn oil or not too.