1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I have a 01 ram cummins extended cab 2500 4x4 auto and the trans is acting stupid

When I take off and drive around normal no issues but if I try to pass or "speed" up it seems that the trans is taking for ever to shift and or seems to "slip" It only does it when im in the higher gears or downshifting.

I checked the fluid and its at the bottom of the ok line but above the fill line.

Should I try one of those trans additives

2. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Is it doing it around 40-50mph? Like the converter is slipping in and out of lock up?

3. Scenic Lawnscape

yes and when it does it is like there is nothing there, pushing down on the gas and get nothing and let off and try again and it works

4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Try filling the trans to the top of the fill line and see if this helps.

5. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Sounds like it may be 1 of 2 things: either your shifter solinoid in the trans itself,or the tps(throttle position sensor) they are known to go.
    I think it might be the solonoid though

6. Scenic Lawnscape

The shifter solinoid is that inside the trans?

7. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

yes,it is.
    Good luck with it. Hopw u get it worked out