1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans. question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

I had system completely flushed 7000mi, ago I tow a landscape trailer, all summer. I have a 2500,v-10, 8liter dodge.

Change or not change that is the question?????

Thanks for any input------ LET IT SNOW TIM C

2. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Pull your dipstick if the fluid looks nice and pink looking like new fluid looks then its prob alright to leave it for a bit. if it looks brownish dark and funky looking change it.

3. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Hi Tim
    All transmissions (any model and year) always love fresh fluid. With high tech. components and fluids the fresher the better. Is it necessary in your case ??? Only YOU can answer that. If you use that truck hard all summer like you say you do and with winter coming I would have a fresh trans for the winter abuse. It doesn't hurt. What's the cost of a fluid change compared to a overhaul. I know guys who do a trans service once a year no matter how hard they run their trucks...They seem lucky.
    WELL, DO YOU ,,,,,TIM !!!!! LOL
    Mike

4. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I use my equipment all year. I change the fluid once in the fall, then again in the spring. So far in all our trucks its been a good practice. ( BUT we do it ourselves, so it is only the cost of materials )

Rick

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have always done a tranny drain, refill & filter each fall. Last year I had a t-tech fluid change & filter job it was $79.95 but they completely flushed the transmission. it was worth it just for the time/hasle factor

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pulling trailers and plowing are very hard on trans fluid.I'd change it.

Consider adding a drain plug,so you can easily drain the fluid and do a quick change.It won't get it all,but if you do it regularly,then it will be fine.

To get it all out you need to drain the convertor,and drop the valve body a hair.Use a good OEM filter.Don't forget to adjust the bands when you have the pan off,it only takes a second,and should be done at every service.

Make sure you use the correct Chrysler ATF+3,or ATF +4 trans fluid too.Check your dipstick or manual to find out what you need depending on the year of the truck.