1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by advl66, Oct 24, 2010.

1. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

I recent got my trans rebuilt.The guy told me that while plowing to not use 4hi if the snow is over 2 in..He said it over heats the trans.I've never heard of that before.I asked him what was overheating temp.He said about 225.I never saw 200 while plowing all last year in 4 hi?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I never use 4 low unless I need max pulling or pushing power
  3. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

thats what i do to,im just asking to see if anyone has any word on this
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I never use 4lo unless I really need it. Always in 4 high while plowing. If you have a temp gauge just keep an I on it. I think pulling heavy loads in stop and go traffic while its 95 degrees would generate more heat.
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I hardly ever put it in 4x4. My trans temps run 130-150 while plowing. I would look for a new trans guy.
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Trans guy is full of shiet. I only touched 4LO last year to move some piles. Either 2HI or 4HI every other time. Don't know if you have a ScanGauge or not, but it is a cheap, easy way to monitor conditions.
  7. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

ive got my autometer trans temp gauge.im going to upgrade to a 6.0l trans cooler for precauctions.last year i never noticed the temps getting near 200. prolly 185 highest
  8. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

200 is getting dangerous. The 6.0 trans cooler will solve all of you heat problems and protect your trans for a good long time. If you purchase used, be sure to have the cooler flushed by a trans shop. Need to keep the torque converter from possible debris from another transmission that could be deposited in the cooler.,.....
  9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

When we get that heavy, wet concrete snow in CT, I use 4 low alot. Keeps your tranny temps down. Your tranny guy may have good intentions, but 2" might be a little extreme to need 4 low unless its the wet stuff.
  10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

agreed. i very rarely use 4 wheel drive, and never use 4 low.
  11. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

When I get home tomorrow afternoon I will check, I might have a brand new cooler for a 6.0 laying around that I will sell cheap.
  12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I plow 4Hi 1st gear almost always. The key to keeping your trans from heating up is to keep it from shifting alot and slipping, I have had very few trans problems and just maintain them every spring
  13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well my transmission is on a guage and if it gets up over 180 degrees and I go ahead and shift down into 4 low after I have been plowing in 4H I can tell you that the temp drops right away back down to 160-170 . If I go back to 4H it goes right back up ............... I have the most problems in the Spring when its warm air temps and wet heavy snow ......... most of the guys up here that plow woods roads all day long; all plow in low range because they have lost tooooooooo many transmissions trying to plow in high range. Now they are usually plowing miles of road with a foot of snow in it so its not the same as a paved parking lot with 4" which of course you could plow in high range no problem......
    I guess every application has its own standards...........
  14. housesoccer

housesoccer Junior Member
    from 46304

well, of course some depends on your type of truck and the trans it has. I have a 2005 and a 2006 f350 both with a 6.0 diesel. My son had a device that check all temps. My trans when plowing is around 150 to 160. it actually gets higher when driving bettween lots at 185 to 205. I never plow in 4x4 if I can avoid it. I have a better turning radius without it. I carry lots of salt in the rear. I suppose that helps a lot. Perhaps, you need to add some wieght to the rear. If your temp gets hot, stop a while and increase rpm for a few min.
    You should probably get this guage that my son has. I will post the brand when I see him.
  15. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

i already have a trans temp guage. ive had it for years
  16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio