1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnnyU, Apr 10, 2003.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I had my 700r4 rebuilt about 1.5 years ago, rebuilt everything including a new torque converter. Sometimes when I'm at about 3/4 throttle while accelerating into traffic, it feels as though the transmission monemtarily hangs up then shifts normally again. This usually happens between (I think) 2nd and 3rd gear. I had the servo replaced too with one allegedly from a corvette, for a firmer shift.

Do you suppose that a vacuum leak could be at fault. To my understanding, the 700r-4's were still vacuum controlled, until 93 when they were electronically controlled. What might be the problem? I know it is somewhat limited info, but so far it has only happened a few times. The fluid is red, non-burnt so I'm baffled, it dosen't seem like it should be normal, but is it? I don't remember it happening before I rebuilt it or had the servo replaced, perhaps it did and i never noticed :confused:

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer!:drinkup:

-John

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

John, there is no vacuum control on the 700r4.It is totally controlled by a kick down cable,and and a mechanical governor. Because of this the kick down linkage adjustment is critical to long life of the transmission. To be sure which gear shift is giving you the problem,manually shift the trans with the shift lever. If its the 2-3 shift flare it is murder on the 3-4 clutch pack,this is not good. That is the most common failure on the 700r4. I would be easy on it while it makes that shift,then power into it after the shift.You want to get this looked at ASAP,to minimize any more damage to the transmission. When you say it hangs,you mean the motor RPM stays the same and it wont shift for a second, or there is a or it starts to shift,the RPM rises the falls into the next gr(flare shift). There is also a bind shift(very bad) where the trans is in 2 grs at once for a very brief time.in this case the car truck will usually nose over for a split second as if someone tapped the brakes for a mil-second when it shifts.This is usually easier to feel at light throttles /low speeds.At higher throttle you literally drive right thru the bind and cannot feel it usually.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Make sure the TV cable it not sticking and adjusted properly.You can adjust it easily by depressing the button on the cable,at the throttle body mounting bracket,and let the cable release.Then fully open the throttle plate (at the throttle body,don't use the gas pedal),and it will self adjust.

One other thing to check would be the linkage adjustment.Quite often on plow trucks,it gets worn,and the trans will act up.Make sure it's going properly into each gear.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Thanks Chris and John. I will take a look at the TV cable tonight, If time permits. I made an appt with my tranny guy for tomorrow. He's the guy that rebuilt it, and a good friend so I hope he will have good news. Thanks again for the help. :drinkup:

-John