1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 350-CHEVY, Oct 26, 2008.

1. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

i just put a rebuild trans in my truck (1995 chevy 1500) and took it for a drive and now its ticking at the front of the trans.... and cant turn engine over by hand but it will start. any ideas

thanks in advance
    ian

2. fakemam

fakemam Junior Member

did you check you that your torque converter bolts are all tight. also check to make sure you used the right bolts

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

bigger problem i have seen that will bind things up is when you installed the tourqe convertor did you fell all 3 sets of teeth ingauge the shaft and pump. i have seen people get 2 out of 3 and the last and most important is the drive teeth on the pump. its 2 big notches. and it will also make the convortor bind against the flexplate.

easy way to tell is when you bolted up the trans to motor was the flex plate tight to the convortor ? and did yo have to pull the trans to the motor with the bolts?

if you dont know for sure pull the inspection cover. then remove the convertor bolts. see if you can slide the convertor away from the flexplate. if not then you are bound up.

if so need to remove the tranny and reman the pump. cause you will have cracked the pump gear and it will fail .

but it could be somthing else. this is what i have seen most of the time my self.

4. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

thank you both but neither of tose are my problem i made sure the torque converter was loose when i put it in and i double checked the bolts as soon as i heard it making the noise, about 5 minutes in to the test drive

5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

check the flex plate for cracks around the bolts.....
    had a 79 that did that ...

6. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

brought the truck to the shop that rebuilt the trans.... they pulled the pan and it was full of metal they said they figure when it was put back together the bolts mernt torqued properly and everything fell apart when i took it for a test ride. they choked all costs and gave me some money back for my time waisted...

thanks for helping me out

7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Sucks for the shop,but it's good to hear that they stood behind their work. I've made amature mistakes in my profession that cost a lot to fix too. :cry: