1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Problem 99 GMC Sierra 2500

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ACL&L Plowing, Dec 4, 2005.

1. ACL&L Plowing

ACL&L Plowing Junior Member

One of my guys made the mistake of shifting the trans into 4wd while the truck was moving and in Drive. Now the front end is vibrating when traveling about 25 mph or more, sounds like something is grinding. It is OK when truck is switched out of 4 wd into 2 wd. What could this be? It is a 99 GMC 2500 Sierra. What might it cost?

2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

sounds like it could be a u-joint. lock it in 4wd and get under it and wiggle the front drive shaft. if it wiggles you need a u-joint

3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Arent you supposed to be able to shift it into 4wd while its in drive? I know on my 93 s-10 you can put it in 4wd when your moving, your allowed to do that. Maybe you just didn't notice the problem before as you didn't drive that fast in 4wd?

4. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

you should be able to shift into 4hi while driving. 4lo you can not.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I always stop and put it in nuetral real quick, eventhouth the new truck has electronic 4wd

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Gm has had shift on the fly forever. I don't think you could possibly get it into 4 low while moving. I wonder what the guy actually did to damage it...

7. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

What ^ said. It won't let you put it in 4lo and it has shift on the fly like I said above, so either back ujoints or something else went unnoticed earlier or your guy fed up your truck. Get it checked out.