1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans overheating

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rich p, Dec 28, 2003.

1. rich p

rich p Junior Member
    from CT.

Where i work we have an old Michigan 55III payloader that hasn't run much in years. This fall i mounted a 12' snow blade to it and have used it twice this year. It works fine but the torque converter temp guage reads in the red after about 45 minutes of plowing heavy snow.. If i stop for a while and let idle it will cool down to safe level. Has anybody had this problem before?

2. rich p

rich p Junior Member
    from CT.

This is the heavy equipment forum right? I guess i will try somewhere else.

3. mjk039

mjk039 Junior Member
    from PA

trans overheat

The torque converter is probably going bad or the oil cooler might be plugged up with debris. Make sure the cooler is clean, oil in trans is full. If the problem still exists, chances are the torque converter is going bad. Just went through this with a John Deere 544E.

4. rich p

rich p Junior Member
    from CT.

Thanks Matt, what were the symptoms of a worn torque converter? Was it slipping much?

5. CatDieselPower

CatDieselPower Junior Member

Does it have a filter or screen that may be plugged up not letting fluid circulate freely?

6. rich p

rich p Junior Member
    from CT.

I changed the filter and topped off. The cooler is just looped in the radiator. Maybe an external trans cooler would help. Also I thought of hooking up a pusher fan to help the motor fan. If i let idle for 2 min. I can see the guage drop. I don't know if it's worth changing converter on this old beast. Is it a big job?