1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans or torque cvtr trouble

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Snow Commandor, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Last week out of the blue mi tranny only had 1rst and 2nd gear. After limping back to the shop I came to find that I was down by about half a quart of atf. After topping off the atf everything seamed to return to normal. Now all the sudden, roughly a week later I'm experiencing some little hick-up when it up_shifts and I can hear what sounds like torque converter noise @ idle and in the low gears including reverse. The atf is @ the normal level and is not showing signs of overheating. Any suggestions guys?

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Half a quart of fluid will change nothing in the trans. I think most are 10-12 quarts in total. More than likely it was a coincidence that the trans started working correctly again. I'd pull the trans pan and inspect the filter and magnet. My gut feeling is $1600-2000 to fix her.

I think some internal damage to the fins inside the torque converter is causing the grief. Some fragments got lodged in the valve body or solnoids causing the shifing issue. By turning off the engine the fluid dropped back into the pan opening up the passageway for the trans fluid. Anyhow good luck.

3. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

the noise is most likely the pump. put i second droppin the pan and takin a look at her.

4. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Local trans shop dropped my pan & changed some solenoids and the filter. No change! She still won't get outa' first gear & still has the same torque convertor noise. The shop said it needs a complete rebuild. Guss it's time to go rob the bank!!!