1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans oil

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FISHERBOY, Jul 31, 2009.

1. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Just wondering if i should change my trans fluid in my f-350 diesel dump yearly, regardless of the 30,000 miles says the experts, i use it alot for plowing not so much in summer time, the trans was new in 06 it was changed last season before winter

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

IMO changing, or I should say EXchanging the fluid yearly can't hurt. When I got my 350 with the 5r110w (TorqShift) the dealer told me it's a good idea to change it yearly if towing and hauling and plowing alot. Tranny fluid like any viscous fluid breaks down over time from cycling from hot to cold hot to cold, and exchanging it with new fresh fluid can only help. Have it down by someone with an exchange machine versus just dropping the pan.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Fluid and filter every year if its worked at all.

4. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

May be a drain plug in the torque converter. There is on my gasser.

5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Should be a drain bolt in the pan already. Change the filter. The gasket is semi-hard to find as I think it is a self torque limiting deal on the gasket. It is also an opportunity to run synthetic. I run amsoil ATF, can buy it in 5 gal. box, 2, 2 1/2 gal. containers. Expensive, but so is a tranny rebuild! BTW, I do my tranny fluid annually.