1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans noise

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SAWFISH, Jan 8, 2004.

SAWFISH Junior Member

First off: GREAT SITE

I have a 2000 4x4 ram 1500 with a 360 and when I start up and put it in reverse I can hear a moaning noise(somewhat high pitch) the noise will stop after i put it back into park. The truck still moves ok but the noise does not seem normal to me, and it does go away once warm. It seems to only do it when it's cold out, Should I let it warm up more? The truck only has 19,000 miles on it. I searched old threads but could not find anything.

Thanks in advance.
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i think all the new trucks chevy ford nd dodge make that noise its probably fine but if your nervice have it looked at my chevy does to only for a few minuets.then its quit again
  3. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

When you start the truck, idle it in neutral instead of park. This will circulate more fluid, heating it up more. When it is real cold out, the fluid doesn't like to move around, and the tranny is much happier this way.
  4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Griff- Idling in park is the same as nuetral as far as fluid flow goes. Park is neutral, with a locking gear mech to stop it from rolling.
  5. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Wouldn't hurt to check/change tranny/transfer etc. fluids:)

SAWFISH Junior Member

I have checked the trans fluid level / condition and they are both ok(fluid is a good red). The fuild shouldn't go bad with age should it? The 19k miles are all highway miles. How hard is it on the trans/engine to only let it warn up a minute or so before driving it(when temp outside is 20 degrees). Any other help would be appreciated, I really don't want to take it to the dealer ship as for I have had problems with them in the past.

7. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

:) Griff and K are right about letting the vehicle warm up. The fluid should be red/pinkish and not have a "burnt" odor to it. Changing/flushing is preventative maintenance. Ask anyone, plowing is rough on a drivetrain.
    I understand your concerns with a dealer. I could tell you a horror story about my local "transmission shop". I also used a national chain (Cottman). I did this in the middle of last season to save time. In the end it was my uncle, who works as a Dodge dealer mechanic that solved the problem. In the end it's the mechanic, not the dealer that you rely on. Try to find someone local, private or dealer, by asking around. In my case the dealer was most expensive up front but priceless in time lost and aggravation. Remember that their may be good local mechanics but dealer mechanics go through much training to get where they are. Don't get me wrong, I've never met a dealership that was problem free. Sometimes you gotta prioritize:nod:
  8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

all chrystler / dodge / jeep transmissions do not circulate the transmission fluid in park, only in drive gears and neutral

SAWFISH Junior Member

The fluid is a good red and no "burnt" smell, so is the noise something that I should have checked out, or not worry about.
    Someone once told me that the noise I'm hearing is a sign that the trans is going bad:confused: I would hope that it's not going bad this soon.
    P.S. This truck does not have a plow on it.

Thanks again.
  10. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

tran noise

The noise is probably nothing BUT how much does piece of mind cost? Have a reputable tranny mechanic give it the once over.;)
  11. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

This noise is common in dodge truck/van trannies from up to the intro of the new 4.7/5.7l motors. It won't do it if you shift first to neutral for a few seconds. You should let the truck idle in neutral while the engine is warming up though because fluid does not (99% sure of this) circulate in park in a dodge truck. What Ksland said would be true of a ford or chevy but in your truck this noise is not a problem. I have heard it in all three dodges that i've owned with three different generations of trannies.
  12. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I have the same noise in my 94 Dodge 1500. I am told it could be a clogged trans filter. I have not checked the filter yet and (knock on wood) have not had any tranny problems.

SAWFISH Junior Member

When I was at the dealership today picking up my 99 grand caravan (just had a new trans put in) I talked to the mechanic and he said the noise is from a solenoid and it should do no damage. He thought that there was a "tsb" on it but was not sure. He said to let it warm up in neutral with parking brake set so that the fluid can circulate.
  14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, Big Nate. Incorrect. I just looked at a flow chart for a Dodge trans. Same flow in P and N. Also looked at a shifter valve pic in a Mitchell. It allows for the same circulation in P and N. Maybe on earlier models but not in newer.

Sorry again, Big Nate. I was looking at the wrong book. You are correct about the fluid flow.:eek:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  15. spire-32

spire-32 Junior Member

does it only do it in reverse ? i have a 99 with a 318 and is a 4x4 that made the same noise and only in reverse and when it was cold out. it was the govenor pressure valve. it is common in dodges. i put in a trans kit that came with the 'fixed' govenor and not had the problem since and it has been a year since the install.

SAWFISH Junior Member

It only does it in reverse, but it has not done it since I took the advise from the people here. I now let it warm up in neutral (with p-brake set) or if I am in a big hurry I will shift it into neutral first then into reverse. Since I started doing it this way I have not heard the noise.

Thanks to all..:D
  17. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I drove my dodge this morning and let it warm up in neutral, it worked, no more noise from the trans in reverse:drinkup: