1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Line Rusted Thru

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbsnow, Apr 16, 2010.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Can I replace with oil cooler hose, or do I need to replace with the metal tubing that rusts?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Replace them with metal tubing that doesn't rust. Use the alloy brake line tubing.

3. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks for the response. I will pick up all the tubing on Monday and get it fixed.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Spray the line with fluid film too. It keeps the water off the line so it does not rust. I did not do that with my truck and it rusted out in 3 years. I hate to do a job over again a few years down the road. Plus Mercon fluid is expensive when you spray 12 quarts in the driveway!

5. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well for the price of a 72in line, and a tube bender, oh ya and 2 qts of trans fluid, the job came out great. Took the old line off, taped all the peices together, and bent the new line exactly. No more leaks and its a nice clean job.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

rubber hose will work if your tigher on cash, or time. Trans coolers are low pressure, id still do the metal, but rubber hose will work just fine

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

One problem is if the line popped one place it will pop somewhere else. I patched a line 4 times. In different places it popped. I just gave up and replaced all the hard line. It's not worth putting many quarts of expensive Mercon on the ground! Most transmissions will die if they lose fluid or pressure. It's just not worth it to JuryRig stuff !