1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans hard shift / vibration - '00 GM 2500 Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mpsk, Nov 25, 2004.

1. mpsk

mpsk Junior Member

I started having seat of my pants vibration while cruising/accelerating (shifter in OD) when the trans was in either drive or OD. This started in April. The vibration has since gone away but been replaced by hard shifting. Originally only when going from drive to OD (again, shifter in OD) but now in all gears but only after it warms up. If I have driven for awhile and shut it down for a couple of minutes the shifting mechanism seems to reset but after a few miles the hard shifting returns. Also it seems to happen sooner if I have to boot it - normally I try to drive pretty softly.

I'm broke. By continuing to drive am I working the heck out of the other parts i.e. u-j's, rear end, etc?

If the electronic shifter is shot, any idea how much to replace? Can it be repaired? If so any drawbacks?

I don't plow but I do tow a fifth wheel.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....mike in BC
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I do not think you have a major problem but you may have a sensor or two going bad. The ECM controlls the shifting of your 4L80E based on speed and engine output and faulty TP (Throttle Position), MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and engine temp sensor can have a effect on its operation. You might also make sure that tranny is full of fluid and that fluid and filter are in good order.
  3. mpsk

mpsk Junior Member

Thank you sir - I appreciate the reply. Tranny fluid is full as I have been checking that frequently. I hope your optimisim is correct re. a sensor or two - I'M POOR! :)

Sincerely yours,