1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans flush

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TMLGC, Nov 3, 2013.

1. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

2 years ago I got a 2000 Chevy 2500 w/ 6.0, 8600 non HD, when they made both in newer style. Now has 130k and Im putting a plow on it before winter. The truck runs and shifts fine and the transmission shows no indications of any problems. I have no idea if it has ever been done.

I'm debating having the tranny serviced, yet several people Ive talked to said don't bother as some have done it in the past and have then had failures soon after. There theory is what they have been told is do it every year or so 30k or don't do it at all unless there is a problem. My old boss did this on 2 truck prior to a winter when they rolled over 100k and both tranny went that winter. One was done at a dealer, the other by qualified shop mechanic.

Truck is in great shape for its age but am I crazy for making a 13 year old truck with 130k a front line plow rig, would be my only truck for at least a year.
  2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would say don't do any sort of flush that involves anything other than replacing the fluid, those seem to be the ones that correlate with issues. There are flush "machines" that hook to the lines to the cooler/radiant and simply separate the old fluid and new by a sliding piston and the trucks pump does the work. This should cause no issues but will still be referred to as a flush. You probably don't want any sort of back flush etc. A pan drop, filter change, and fluid top off also shouldn't cause issues.

I would recommend you see what the condition of your fluid is and change if it looks real bad. At 130k anything can happen and I wouldn't blame the fluid change if you have issues unless its within a couple days of the job. If its your only truck you may want to have the cash on hand and a plan for repair (find good shop, plan a backup,etc).
  3. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

Trans flush are generally a rip off to get you in the door. Enough places dont even flush them and they sometimes cause more issues than they prevent. Just drop your pan, look at how black the fluid is, put in a new internal filter, some new Dex III fluid and run it. If it was really black and the shifting is acting up, drop the pan, replace filter and fluid, and you should be set for another 30k or so.

I don't get into the other autos, just the Allison which cannot be flushed traditionally. On the built transmission's I reccommend just using cheap Dex III fluid and changing every 30k. On stock ones I run Chevron Synthetic HD ATF and change at 50,000-100,000 or more depending on conditions. change the spin-ons every other oil change at 20k.