1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Fluid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dfdsuperduty, Dec 6, 2007.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Hey guys what do you think I was looking at buying a 2nd truck 04 250 5.4 gasser however i looked at the trans fluid and it is a dirty brown color truck has about 135,xxx mi on it and the guy doesn't know if the fluid has been changed do you think it would be a good idea to drop the pan and change the fluid and add some conditioners to and then change it again in about 10,000 mi to try and get all the old crap out:confused: any suggestions would be appreciated

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I am not a mechanic, but any time i buy a used truck with that kind of milage, i change tranny, differential fluid, and even transfer case. I have even added a drain plug to my tranny pans to make it easier to change fluid the next time.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Your SD has a drain plug on the torque converter. I'd pull the pan, filter, and drain plug on the converter add a drain plug to pan and filler up. Ive always added a drain plug to my pans. I drop the fluid in the pan every other oil change and the filter every 30000. Knock on wood I have never had a tranny issue. Had 266000mi on 4l60e in a truck with 6in lift w/35in tires that saw tow duty almost every day. I did add 4.56 gears when I lifted her.

4. toast

toast Member

Even easier to flush is to remove the return line on the side of the tranny, run the truck, go through all the gears to clear the valve body, and youll know when all of the fluid is flushed when it turns a nice red color....you go through a quart or two more, but will get a better flush out of it..