1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans fluid question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I am doing my trans fluid tomorrow and was wondering, is there any way to get the torque converter empty of its fluid too, or just have to mix the synthetic with the regular dirty crap and go on?? If there isnt a way, then fluid/filter it is!! BTW the trans is a 4l80E

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can do a fluid exchange. Basically you take a transmission cooler line off, and fill the trans as you pump out the old fluid into a bucket. It's been detailed here, but here goes. Drop the pan, new filter, put it back together. Put 8 qts of new fluid in, pull the cooler line, and start the truck. Once you've pumped out a gallon or so, put in another 4 qts. Keep doing this till the fresh fluid comes out. You will be able to see the color change. Shut it down, put the cooler line back together, and check/adjust the fluid level. It's easier with two people. You can even add fluid through the dipstick tube as you pump it out.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey thanks!!! One question on that method, does it matter which cooler line I take off to do this??? (at least it will be easy since all my cooler lines are brand new)

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not really I don't know which is which on your truck, but some guys take the line going back to the trans off. Put a fitting in the cooler and a short piece of tubing into the bucket.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hmmm, I wouldnt have the slightest clue as to which one is the return line coming back from the cooler.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Take it off, start it up. You'll know real fast. You mentioned you just put new lines on. Did you plumb it so the hot fluid goes into the external cooler first, then the rad cooler?

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I put it back together like it was stock. Got all the pre-bent lines from GM for it. There are 3 lines on the truck, one trans to rad, rad to cooler, then I guess cooler to trans. (looks like I just figured out where the return line is)

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Come on don't keep it a secret tell us which one it was ???????

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I feel like a dumba$$ sometimes when I answer my own questions, lol:) Guess it helps sometimes for someone else to make it clear.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use the Dog Napper's fluid exchange procedure. It ensures you get virtually all the old fluid removed and isn't a tough job, especially since your lines are fresh. If you feeling lazy and don't want to lay under the truck or fool with the lines down there simply pop the grill out and disconnect the line there. A couple feel of rubber hose and some assistance from the wifey and you'll be done in no time. As long as there's no arguments. :D

Make sure you get the correct length filter as there's two, a short and a long. You'll need the long one.

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I will B&B. I got the filter done over the summer, and I do remember which one it was. Yeah I had no plans of laying under the truck right now. Way the heck too cold. Three season garage still open, lol Why do I have the feeling I am going to wear some trans fluid today???

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

All done!!! Had to run out about 8 quarts to get it flowing clean. Man there sure was a big difference between the old stuff and the new!!! Well now the truck is running 100% synthetics now from the rear end to the front. That was a very expensive fluid change though:dizzy: 16 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid is not cheap at all!!! Thanks for all the help guys:waving:

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear it went well for you. Thanks for the update.

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey thank you for giving me that info!!! It worked flawlessly and I had no help doing it either. Just used a clear gallon jug (old washer fluid bottle) ran the line from the cooler thru the bumper, used the plow wiring harness to hold the line, and into the jug. Started it, watched it get close and had to boogie back to the cab to shut it down. Fill the trans and repeat. Got it right at a gallon each time too, and no mess at all!!

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Boy your fast back and forth.....:D
    Maybe you can start a trany fluid exchange bizz....:)

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Glad there wasnt any ice in my drive, or I would have been on my arse, lol:laughing:

I will pass on a tranny fluid exchange biz lol:D

17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I haven't see mobil 1 transmission at stores here.

How much they cost for 1 gallon or quarts?

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Mil, I got it at autozone. It was 8 bucks a quart. They only have it in synthetic and no gallon jugs that I saw

19. You made that sound so easy I think I'll try it myself. How do I tell which trans I have? The NAPA guy wasn't confident when he gave me the filter.
    '04 2500 HD CC 6.0 gas. Thanks.

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I am pretty sure you have the 4l85E in that truck, basically the same thing as the 4L80E like I have in mine. The filter is a little bit of a job. You have to unbolt and move the shifter linkage off the side of the trans, and possibly unbolt the transfer case mount from the cross member and raise it up a little bit to get a little extra room to get the pan out of the way. At least that is what I had to do on mine. But the fluid change and transfer part is easy:D