1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans fluid level- okay?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, I just (2 weeks ago) got my trans fluid changed (filter also). I checked the level today (hot), and found it to be about 3/4"-1" on the dipstick above the HOT FULL level. Is this okay or is it overfull (enough to be an issue)? If it's overfull- what's the best way to get it back down?

Trans is a 2003 4L85E auto trans
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hope this isn't the same shop that did your coolant flush last spring Matt. For if it is you really need to find a new place to service your truck. ;)

An inch over the full mark when hot is way overfull and will lead to issues such as excessive trans heat and fluid aeration, neither of which are good for the life of the trans.

Some trucks have a drain bolt in the trans pan, but not all do. If yours does, pull it out for a few seconds in order to remove the excess fluid and then refill to the correct level. If it doesn't have a drain then you'll need to draw it out through the fill tube, I use a vacuum pump myself. If you don't have access to one...take it back to whom ever did the job and make them fix it right.