1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans fluid in your pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RICHIE K, Jan 4, 2010.

RICHIE K Member
    from NJ

I was at out local gas staion and the owner of same said that he only uses trans fluid in his pumps anyone else know of this
  2. lewdo

lewdo Junior Member

I had to once in a pinch. Busted a hose and lost my plow oil. The local Walmart didn't have plow oil so I used transmission oil. It was towards the end of winter and I didn't have any problems with it, but have been told that if it gets real cold out the plow will run real slow.
  3. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

ATF is a hydraulic fluid, but with multiple additives that make it suitable for the clutches and seals in an automatic transmission. Back when many plow pumps and reservoirs were underhood, ATF was the fluid of choice. The warmth of the engine kept it flowing well. Pumps mounted to the plow light tower/headgear don't get exposed to engine heat, so the fluid can be too viscous to flow through the tiny ports in the hydraulics (the older engine driven systems used simple valves that had much larger ports, making them very forgiving). Actual low-temp plow fluid doesn't thicken as much as ATF in cold temps, making it the recommended choice by the manufacturers.

Personally, I stick with plow fluid, and try not to mix brands.
  4. I know a lot of guys that run it and swear that they have no problems. As for me, nothing but blue plow oil.:nod:
  5. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Ive run atf in the past, it DOES freeze when it gets below 0....even the below 0 windchill effects it...in a pinch its fine, maybe add some HEET if its freezing, it'll get you by
  6. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i use it. never had a problem.

i use the koi atf
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Used to run it years ago in an old western. worked ok but would freeze if it had even a drop of water in it
  8. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I went back to the Fisher dealer that sold/installed my plow to get new fluid. He said "why don't you go to Walmart and get automatic transmission fluid? It's the same stuff only cheaper." I bought three quarts of Fisher fluid from him, payed alot of $$$ Went home changed the fluid and never gave it a thought....... Until now
  9. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I can tell you for a fact that fisher oil is not atf. Plow oils are low temp hydraulic fluid like is used in aircraft hydraulics. Some of them specify the MIL (military) spec for low temp hydraulic oil. That MIL spec requires the min viscosity at 0 and -40 degrees to be about 10 times less than what run of the mill ATF is, its much thinner in the cold.
  10. highclimber604

highclimber604 Junior Member

I also like many of you said have used it in a pinch the last storm and havent had a problem with it yet. if i get bored, i might change it out but as for now after plowing for 40 hours over the weekend, its staying in there.
  11. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

our western dealer here in dayton sell automatic trans fluid for westerns.....I have always used it with no problems
  12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

13. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

My plow pump is old school, under the hood. I've been running ATF, usually synthetic going on 4 years now. Never had it freeze up, or even slow down no matter how cold it gets, yet.

14. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

i use atf in my e-47 never had any issues its never even slowed down.
  15. 2low

2low Member

i have 2 meyers pumps on the shelf that have blown apart from tranny fluid being in them and cracking the case. the only time you use atf fluid is if you have a under hood pump
  16. ben@g2g

ben@g2g Junior Member

Even the Western mechanics guide you can download from there site lists Dexron III ATF suitable for down to 0F, and Western Plow Fluid down to -25F. I have no experience with other brands though.
  17. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Used ATF for over 30 years. Worked with my all my Westerns, Boss, Hiniker, and even my $h!tty Meyer.
  18. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

My K5 had the pump under hood and used ATF for 4 years, never once did that fisher give me a prob, had the 2 handle controls and valve on the outside, wish i took pics of it after some ice storms..WD 40 lived on that thing.
  19. Tom Rigg

Tom Rigg Junior Member

Blue Plow oil (aircraft hyd. oil) will absorb up to 10% moisture (condensation) AtF will not, the problems will always start when it gets below Zero and you have other worries...use plow oil and change it every year and clean the filter....then plow snow when it snows instead of work on the plow!
  20. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I have used atf for 14 years and no issues yet.