1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans fluid change

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowish10, Mar 1, 2015.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I just had my trans rebuilt in my f350 this summer and I've snow plowed 100 hours this season. How often does everyone change their trans fluid in their plow trucks??

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Once a year.

3. snowish10

Thats what I figured, Id rather spend the money to get it changed and just be safe.

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

They've come a long way with improving atf, so unless it gets roasted...I don't worry about it.

But to each their own. Oil is cheap compared to a rebuild.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Twice a year. Do it in the fall before plowing and in the spring before towing starts. Spring is just a flush and fall is flush and filter.

6. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

What do you mean by "change"? A complete flush or just pan oil and filter?

7. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

BTW have you thought about installing a deep pan and a 26,000 lb cooler?

8. snowish10

I actually installed a 26roe cooler

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

About once a week.

With as much as mine leaks

10. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Keeping the trans oil cool is more important than changing it.

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

John where were you two weeks ago with that message

12. snowish10

Mine never gets over 150 even in the middle of summer

13. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

I'd be cautious about changing ATF too frequently on an older trans. As they wear the metal and other particles end up acting as a type of friction modifier.

You've probably heard a story about someone that changed their 150k old ATF, and then the transmission eats it.

I prefer to set a mileage interval, typically 50k. If you want to change it every 6/12 months, I'd look into Lucas or another additive that comes with some modifier added.

14. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I have synthetic in my 450 with a aftermarket deep pan and cooler. My needle most the time doesnt even move off 140 degrees. Really the only time the oil gets hot is in 4WD low.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Twice a year has gotten me to 200k so far on a 4r100 behind a 7.3.

16. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I just remembered on one of our trucks we installed a drain plug in the trans pan. The idea was when the engine oil was changed to do the trans at the same time. That would be good on a stock pan.

17. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Once a year in the fall before plowing season.

18. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

Sorry but I have never bought into this theory... When ATF breaks down it doesn't offer the needed protection & all the dirt in it just gums up the seals cause the drums to not pressure proper, then it will slip...

The reason the myth was created is the quick lube places that change tranny fluid without removing the pan. They power flush the new ATF in thru the cooler lines & it stirs up all the crap they didn't clean out of the pan & circulates it thru the tranny.

If you want to flush your tranny the pan MUST be cleaned first & the filter NEEDS to be replaced.

Changing oil is never a bad thing unless it is done wrong.

19. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I always have the flush done first, then right to my shop where I can drop the pan and change the filter. I do it this way so the old filter can catch any debris, instead of plugging up a new filter.

Also, I only flush them one time, right after I made the vehicle purchase (I never buy new vehicles). Then a filter and new fluid once a year, whether it needs it or not.

20. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

The problem is 97% of the debris is in the pan, not the rest of the tranny so I wouldn't be concerned with the small amount you get in the new filter during the flush.

It is pretty easy to flush it yourself by running the cooler line into a bucket till it pumps the torque out. You just need a buddy to start & stop the vehicle well you add fluid & watch the bucket.