1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans filter change

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JimACM, Dec 28, 2011.

1. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

I have a 2004 silverado 2500 and want to change the trans filter and replace what fluid is lost removing the pan . I have read i will need 5 quarts of fluid and bolt torque is anywhere from 96 in lbs to 30 ft lbs ..does anyone have good info for the amount of fluid and bolt torque ? It has the 6000 engine and probably the 4L80E

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd get 7qts just snug on the bolts they are small, if you really want to torque them I'm pretty sure it's 18ft lbs

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It would be a 4L85E in 2004 Jim. Same basic unit as the 4L80E though, just with a couple revisions.

It will take somewhere between 6-8 qts depending on how long you leave it drain with the pan and filter off so of course the longer the better since you'll get more old fluid. Overnight is great if possible. And only raising the front of the truck helps extract even more fluid from the torque converter as well.

The pan bolts are 18 ft lbs and if it has a drain plug, and if you can loosen it (don't be surprised if you can't) it's spec is 13 ft lb on reassembly.

4. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Thank you very much guys !

5. All good advice above but if you want to change all of the fluid just disconnect the return line from the trans cooler on the side of the case, attach a piece of heater hose to it and run it to a drain pan. After you have changed the filter and gasket and filled the trans back up, just start the truck. Let it run for about 30-45 seconds and shut it off. This will pump the old dirty fluid from the converter right into the drain pan. Top off the trans with more fluid and repeat this until the fluid coming out of the return line is fresh red fluid. You will use an extra quart or two but its well worth it. IIRC I used about 12 qts on my '04 2500HD.