1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Cooler

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I am looking to upgrade my trans cooler in the truck. The stock one works, but since I have the tune and the line pressure increased and the shifting changed, it runs warmer. Today with the blade on for a bit in moderate traffic around town it started to get about as warm as towing in the summer months. It was only 45 degrees and yes it has the HD fan clutch. Anyone have any recommendations as to how big of one and should I get the tube/fin style or the plate style?? Just want to grab the right one. Thanks in advance:waving:

2. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

tranny with a high fever?

hi .so what is the higher tempeture 180 F. 220 F or... heavy duty clutch fans in my opinion is is a gas saver i tossed all mine in trash i only use 4 blade solid fans like in, early 70,s they always worked.I also dont reccomend them 5 or 7 bladed flex fans THEY WERE RECALLED BY G.M. A FEW YEARS AGO BECAUSE OF FAULTY RIVETS GETTING LOOSING AND THESE FLEX FANS EXPLODED OVER TIME DANGEROUS.as far as a auxuilly cooler you try a used 1 from a 1 ton or heaver full size conversion van.they are big and cheap at your local auto recycler .i hope you have a full radiator shroud on that.maybe the radiator is slighty restricted.corroded on the inside.my guesstimate

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I already have the aux cooler, just want to pop in a bigger one. Im just not too sure if tube and fin style are good or the plate style are better. My local junk yards are about as worthless as tits on a bull and Im not big on putting used stuff on my rig. My radiator is clean, and unclogged (just did the coolant flush myself). And yes I have the full radiator shroud. It would be kinda silly not to.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plate coolers are not only more efficient but more robust, which is why your factory cooler will be a plate style. And you want the largest one you can fit. 10" X 18" or there about is a nicely sized dimension that will fit the space constraints.

Brand name isn't important as virtually all single piece plate coolers are produced by Long Manufacturing. Including most OEM and many "racing" or hi performance coolers.

And never install a used trans cooler for any reason, especially a plate cooler. Even if it's free. :nono:

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Im picking up the Hayden plate one today from Summit. There is a good bit of room to stuff in a nice sized one. Im sure just about any of them will be bigger and better than the little oem one

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Why are the plate coolers better than the fin & tube type ??????

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Got the Hayden 679 cooler. It is 11"x11.5" and good for 10,000 lbs. I cant believe how much bigger the new one is. Had to get a little creative with getting it to fit in there, but it is all hooked and good to go.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As I already mentioned, they're superior in both efficiency and durability.

Good choice. Should notice a nice reduction in trans temps. :drinkup:

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

It helped a ton B&B!!! I drove around town (no plow on) in alot of stop and go, and the trans temp gauge barely moved. Jumped down the highway and gave the pedal a nice meeting with the carpet down the on ramp and let it shift into 4th before I backed off, and the trans never remotely got as warm as it did prior to the cooler. Now just got to see how it performs with the plow hooked up. Did I mention getting on the highway at 100 is kinda exhilarating to say the least, lol. Damn tuned truck and a heavy foot:)