1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Cooler

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Rob, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Hi Guys,
    I have a kind of stupid question, but here goes. I have a 2000 F250SD, with the 5.8 and auto trans. Considering I do residential plowing on a moderate number of accounts, is the transmission cooler already present in the vehicle sufficient or do you think I need to add an external cooler ? I have the plow prep package, the trailer towing package, and off-road package on the truck, I would think that there would be a decent cooler included in there, but would be interested to hear your thoughts,

Thanks,

2. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Is the current cooler seperate from the radiator? (Kinda like a mini radiator) With a towing package, I would guess that it already has a good cooler.

3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

i second DaveK's question?
    If it isn't ADD the largest cooler you can.
    The more protection the better.

matt

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The only way to know for sure is to add a temp guage to trans pan,or in the hot line from the trans to the first cooler.I did this on my 2000 Ram,and found out that the stock system is excellent from the factory,even with my tight TC,and high line pressures,my average trans temp in the hot line is 165-170,in the pan,it seldom goes over 130.I have seen a peak of 210 in the hot line,which adds up to about 170 in the pan,not nearly enough to hurt anything.For around 100 bucks it might be good insurance on a new truck,all new GMs with either the tow package,and/or the VYU plow prep package have factory installed trans temp guages,i think its a great idea,hopefully Ford,and Dodge will follow there lead.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Rob, I have a 2000 F250 with the diesel. I don't know if it's different for the gas motors. It has a seperate trans cooler already. You need to get under the truck and pull out the clips that hold the rubber splash shield at the bottom of the radiator support panel. When you get under there you will see what I'm talking about. Then you can look between the radiator and AC condensor and you should see the trans cooler mounted. it is placed between the two and has space between them so air can circulate. You should be able to see the trans lines running along the passenger side and they will go past the radiator and then you lose sight, that's why you need to pull the clips and check.
    I put a temp gauge on my truck before plowing and it seems fine so far, we haven't had a large snow yet though.

6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks guys,
    I checked it out today, and just as Randy described, there is a cooler behind the rubber splash shield. I happen to be going through some paperwork and saw the invoice for my old 88F250 and it stated transmission cooler on the sticker, while the new one did not. I had to believe it was there, but being on one sticker and not the other got me wondering.
    How hard would it be to install that temp guage ?

Thanks again for your feedback,

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought a trans cooler line for a 94-95 Ram,it cost me 70 bucks,but it had a 1/4"NPT spot in the cooler line for the trans temp sender.I just swapped the lines,and hooked up the temp sender,it took 10 minutes.I feel the hot line is a better place for the sender than the pan,this way you have the hottest point that the fluid gets to,and you know exactly what the highest temp is,not the average temp in the pan.If you can adda t in the hot line,do that if not you may have to drop the trans pan,and put in an aftermarket drain plug ,then install the 1/8"NPT sender in the drain hole.

8. Randy Scott

Look for the one that goes in the line like John said. I put mine in the pan only because that is the setup I already had and was doing a fluid change all at once anyways.
    Drill a hole, file the edges and then install it. Of course you need to drop the pan to do it.
    I believe the inline ones are setup with compression fittings that you just cut the hot line and splice it in. Obviously run the truck to find out which is the hot line. It's just a matter of getting the stuff and then hooking up the power and lines to the gauge. Shouldn't be to big a deal for you.
    My truck sticker didn't have the cooler listed either but it must just be considered part of the tow package.

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey Guys..

I have a 95 F250 HD, it came from the factory with the tow package and it does NOT have an external trans cooler..... It does have an oil cooler.. So make sure thats in fact a tranny cooler in front of the radiator and not an oil cooler and dont forget the A/C is there too...

I am going to be puting in a trans temp gauge too and was about to start a thread on what the best place to put it was .. I like the compression fitting idea in the hot line of the tranny.. My tranny has a threaded fitting in it already but then the wire would be hanging down under the trans so I will get the compression fittings... Thanks...

10. Randy Scott

That's a good point SCAPE, my oil cooler is in front of the AC condensor, you can see it through the front of the bumper. Just follow the lines and it is easy to differentiate. See ya!