1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans Cooler?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by cheesycoolguy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. cheesycoolguy

cheesycoolguy Junior Member

I have 1996 Toyota Tacoma with 6'9" Fisher LD. I was wondering if I really should have a Trans cooler. If so is it just a matter of tie wrapping the cooler to my existing rad, running the input line from the existing rad to the cooler input and a line from the output of the cooler to the input of the existing rad cooler and adding some fluid? Will I need to bleed the cooler and lines or will the air work its way out? Also for any Toyota guys what side of the rad is the input?

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What you should really have is a tranny temp. guage. thay way you can tell if the tranny gets too hot. you may not need a bigger tranny cooler. (do you have a stock one already? You are not very clear with the wording in your post). If you have a cooler already it may be fine. Gauge will tell you what is actually going on. Another problem is running the tranny too cool.

3. cheesycoolguy

Yeah, theres a stock one already, its in the bottom of the rad so I already have lines running to and from the trans, I'd just have to run a little extra line and put the aftermarket cooler in the loop.

4. Remerson

Remerson Junior Member

You should have an external tranny cooler if you are plowing or towing. Do not rely only on the tranny cooler at the bottom of the radiator... even passenger cars have that. The cooler should only cost about a hundred bucks and save you from replacing a $3,000 tranny. Remember that heat is the enemy of all transmissions.

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

a good saying to remember is "transmissions do not die they are killed". keep it cool. to answer the question, yes it is that easy. well it should be anyway lol

6. cheesycoolguy

Thanks, now I know that I need one, but to get back to other part of my question, do I need to bleed the lines and the cooler or just hook it all up and add some additional fluid to the trans?

7. Rickco

Rickco Member

The cooler will bleed itself.

8. cheesycoolguy

Thanks, that what I needed to know, I was worried it might get air locked or something.