1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans cooler to grill

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Mar 2, 2005.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I installed a trans cooler in an 87 Ram Charger on Monday.... that made for a happy truck!!!
    Anyhow, I attached two strips of winshield gasket for spacers, then just wire tied it to the grill, rather than going to the a/c ondensor.... Quich... easy and effective...
    Probably still get the trans rebuilt this spring, as I smoked the fluid and it lost a lot of power in the 13" storm a few weeks ago....

Any thoughtsor suggestions are welcome... I will be installing another trans cooler on a 91 bronco soon...
    Thanks.

2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

An important thing to remember is that the cooler needs airflow. Your installation is fine if it has a seperate fan, otherwise it won't get much airflow at low speed. Thats why they recommend strapping to the radiator or AC condensor. The fan will pull air through the cooler, because there's not other way around it. Your way will not draw much air through the cooler unless you're on the highway.

3. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

WE put it up high up on the grill, but I was a little concerned about the blade blocking the wind.... didn't think much about the fan being needed to pull air.. so thanks... this truck does a fairly tight route of 45-50 drives.... takes between 7-8 hours on a 2-6" snow... less than 75 miles of travel... may be good to install a trans temp gauge, aux fan, or build a mini shroud... This was a temporary fix to get this trans through the rest of the season... I'll have to give it some thought

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  4. doug96

doug96 Member

tranny lines

whatare some popular ways to plumb the lines?

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I took a tube cutter and cut into the return line, then plumbed it in with rubber transmission lines. They have to be for a transmission because of the pressure.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I would like to install a trans temp guage, would you put it on the incoming or return line? I would think that for it to be of any good for you, you would have to have a benchmark to begin with, or at least know what the temp should be at either place?

7. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I put one in my Ford, on the "hot" or out going line. To make a clean connection its two feet away from the actual trans, but it reads the hottest fluid in the trans (post torque converter) so I think it give me the best indication of impending doom. I guess having two gauges would be great, because you know the hottest temp, the temp drop and cool fluid temp. But really I just want to know when it gets to hot. :)

For the routing, follow this path:

-Out of tranny
    -Through the gauge sending unit
    -Into the factory cooler in radiator (upper line)
    -Out of factory cooler (lower line) and into the aux. cooler
    -Out of aux. cooler and back to tranny

If you do go this route, Autometer has a great cooler line splice that accepts their sending unit and can be hard piped in along your existing cooler lines. I highly recommend this because you'll be less likely to have to use rubber hose for it. Also fitting are just a pain to match up to them. I have mine cobbed together with hoses and brass fittings. It works, but I'm always paranoid that it will fail. Also the sending unit needs to be grounded, so I had to rig up a ground. Could have saved myself a afternoon's worth of work just with the line adapter.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

3 coolers

I have posted this before but its great way to fix the oil temp overheat but cost some money and if your going to pull the trans it can be done then. Find a GOOD trans shop not just a fix-it shop the prob with trans fluid is it gets hot either by not cooloing or flow rates are low at low rpm. I work on this for 3 months and talked to many trans guys about this problem. I run a4ld ford trans in the bronco's and they say they are crap but after many e mails and web hunting the way to fix this a hard fix for the trans not the soft fix. Pull the oil pimp out and mill it so the flow is at max even at idle add plenty of coolers i run 3 one in front of the rad one behind and the stock one use high capacity tork conv and larger pan. I also use synthetic oil cost a bunch but runs 30 deg coler and wont break down easy my trucks hold 5 gal of fluid thats a bunch.On the hard fix every thing is steal and kevler so it wont fail cost 3 grand for this set up but it never fails so spend the money and do the research before you spend the money :nod: Temp gaugers are great to tell you whats going on but if it gets hot its to late .....

9. fernalddude

10. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Sorry crashz but I have to disagree with this routing.
    I'm not trying to flame anyone but...

You should go through the aux cooler then into the radiator.
    This configuration takes the heat load off the cooling system and it also tempers the fluid temp before returning it back to the transmission.

If you air cool the fluid it after the radiator loop it may return to the transmission to cold.

At least thats what they were teaching in school 10 years ago when I took the transmission class.

11. doug96

doug96 Member

factory cooler??

ok my 94 chevy 2500 p/u has a very large aux cooler ,,between grill and radiator
    and just a touch smaller than radiator, no visable lines , is this a air cond. cooler, or did i get lucky , and buy a used truck with a cooler on it already.
    i am very worried about the tranny, it shifts into reverse really hard and fast ,it must be wearing out something,

after a couple driveways i will get out lay under and put my hand on the pan. :yow!: it is always bout the same just the point of not being ablt to keep hend there but i can hold it there,
    my regular temp gage in the truck has never gone passed the first 1/4 of the gage running like mad , plow always on and up ,it must be getting hotter than that . i m very worried about this also.

i do take it very easy plowing , and only have 4 regular size driveways , 30 miles round trip, much more driveing than plowing ,

94 chevy 2500 p/u meyer 7.5 conventional mount e 57 i think ,, so old

12. crashz

crashz Senior Member

No offense taken. If I'm wrong, I'm glad somebody will speak up and correct me.

My approach was taken because of advice given to me by my transmission mechanic. Also it seemed pretty logical to me.

I've heard of over-cooling the tranny, but never got a good explaination on why it was bad. The only reason I've heard that makes sense is that moisture in the fluid may build up in the tranny and corrode components if not "burnt off". My tranny regularly get into the 150 degree range, so I think I'm safe there.

13. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mebes
    Thats the way mine us hooked up, Makes sense to me, mine is only that way because I thought that I was using the return line, evidently I'm not, however with your explanation, I'm in good shape. I realize that a temp guage is only going to tell you that it is hot, and that's probably too late. So I guess a temp guage is probably a waste. What is your feeling on a flush? I'm really afraid of a flush myself. Can I have the fluid drained and replaced with synthetic fluid and not cause a problem. 30 degrees cooler sounds good to me and well worth the extra money.

14. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

temp guage

15. fernalddude

temp gauge

Hey guys the temp gauge will help you see the prob before it happens but you must add it to the list of things to watch while your plowing. If you see the temp rising and you have a stock trans then you can only cool it by raising the rpm to increase the flow so more fluid flows to the cooler. :waving: