1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trans cooler question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

Someone told me the other day that they by-pass the trans cooler and plug it right into the radiator? Id this even possible?

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I wouldn't do it but yes it can be done.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Why would you want to eliminate the tranny cooler?

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

LOL so someone said that you could just mix the tranny fluid and the coolant all up in the radiator? I'm confused! Instead of 2 coolers, just use 1!!! ?????????

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do you know what cools the fluid when there is no trans cooler??? :confused:

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

yes it is possible, most radiators have two nipples on the bottom that hook into your coolant lines to cool your trans fluid. i would not do this on a plow truck, just asking for trouble.

7. JDiepstra

A radiator designed to keep the fluids separate? You can't just take your typical radiator and plumb multiple fluids into it!

8. JDiepstra

Also, I have changed the radiator on a Chevy truck, and there was certainly not any tranny fluid in it.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

True but I would hope the OP knows this if there is already a cooler hooked up. :dizzy:

10. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I do have a trans cooler hooked up to it, but I was just wondering if you could do it? I am thinking of getting a bigger one for my truck or maybe adding a electric fan over top of the trans cooler, so when I am plowing I can keep it cool

11. JDiepstra

If you are worried about it I would just get another tranny cooler with the fan built into it and mount it under the truck if possible.