1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trans check valve

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by killed300ex, Dec 26, 2005.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Wondering if anyone had heard of the check valve going bad on dodges leading to trans failure. I was talking with my transmition shop guy and he recomends removing the check valve going to the trans cooler. He said they get gummed up and stick closed causing tranny failure. Wondering if anyone had heard about this? Only downside is that you need to let the engine sit in neutral before you can move because it drains the torque converter of fluid.

Evan

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm not sure???
    all I know about that is If I let my truck sit for a couple of days My tranney will take about 1/2 a minute to fill the converter. All 3 of my dodges are this way. I don't think that cheek ball works that well to begin with as they acted this Way since they were new. I just shift in to N for a couple of seconds until it is filled.
    Remember it is a good idea to have your tranny serviced every year..

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

my trans guy removes the check valve when ever he does a chrysler
    trans

john

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

NEVER Remove THAT VALVE!

Thjat is the anti drain back valve- it keeps the fluid from draining back out of the torque converter when the truck is parked. If you have to wait before you can drive for fluid that valve is either bad or missing. NOT good for the torue converter!

The valve doesn't gum up and stick- what happens is it gums up and fails to seal letting fluid drain back. Besides All Dodges with auto should have an tranny overheaty idiot light- if the vavle happened to stick closed you'd simply loose flow to the tranny coolers- the temp rises and the light goes off LONG before tranny failure. There is no loss of fluid or loss of pressure- only overheating.
    You guys need better tranny shops before you have trouble.

Went though it on my truck a couple years ago.

Remember a Chrysler tranny doesn't pump fluid in park- you need to be in Drive, Neutral, etc for fluid to circulate so idling waiting for it to fill isn;t happening unless you're in gear.

5. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

If you ever have your trans rebuilt, have the mechanic do a mod , something like a converter fill , or something like that. My friend does trannys and did it to mine, and it pumps in park now. Has pressure in the cooler lines in park.