1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by beerandcope, Feb 21, 2002.

1. beerandcope

beerandcope Junior Member

hi guys got a few questions for ya.

first of all let me tell you how it all started. i put a new automatic tranny in my truck to replace the old standard when i put the thing in i forgot to seal the one side of the adaptor plate and now have a very big leak!is there any way short of taking the transfer case completely off that i can fix this problem?

and one other problem, i have a three inch body lift and my tranny dosent wanna shift into 2nd or 1st gear from the column. if i pull the selector lever all the way down its in drive. i have tried adjusting the linkage (which by the way has an extra piece welded to it to compensate for the lift) but when i adjust it it gives me 1 and 2 but i loose park and sometimes even reverse! any ideas? as always thanx in advance for any info..

josh

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Might be a bent part in the linkage. It happens. I bought my truck with a problem holding in Park. I had the trans rebuilt, and when i got the truck home, it still didn't hold in Park. I took it back to the shop, and they ended up changing a part of the shift linkage which they said was bent slightly. They knew it was the linkage because the trans was exchanged for a unit they had built "for plowing". They reused the linkage when ethey did the swap. It took them a 1/2 hour to replace the part and I was on my way.

I put a 3" body lift in my 77, and welded in the 3" extension in the straight part of the linkage rod. I did not change the adjustment at all. I never had any problems getting into all the gears, or staying in any gear after the body lift.

I guess my questions to you would be:

What year is your truck, and what trans is it?
    Did this happen before the body lift?
    Did you do the body lift at the same time you swapped the trans?
    Is the "extra piece" that's welded into the linkage welded in the proper place, and is it the same length as the lift? (ie; a 2" lift needs a 2" extension, and a 3" lift needs a 3" extension).

Did you get the linkage from a truck with the same trans you are using? (ie; using a TH 350, got a linkage from a 80 or older truck)

~Chuck

3. beerandcope

beerandcope Junior Member

thanx chuck the truck is a 73 3/4 ton 350 turbo the truck was origanally an automatic the guy who had it before me changed it to a standard then i changed it back. the body lift was put on by someone else but the linkage came out of a 79 gmc flatbed. could that be the problem?? are gmc's different than chevys as far as linkages go?? thanks again:cool:

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The Chevy and GMC linkages are the same as far as I know. What I am not sure of, is if the linkage is completely the same between the TH 350, and the TH 400 trans. If the 79 flatbed was a wrecker, I would expect it to have had a 400 trans.
    Was the piece welded in the same length as the lift?
    Was the piece welded in the vertical section of linkage, below the master cylinder?

~Chuck

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Your linkage should be the same, we have taken the overdrive units out of Chevy's and GMC trucks and replaced them with turbo 400's & 350's with no changes to the linkage. Check and see if the little plastic centering bushing on the linkage where it meets the frame bracket along with the retaining spring was reinstalled. Without it you can experience shifting problems about the same as you have discribed. You just can't get full throw either in park or the lower gears without it do to the added movement at that pivot point.