1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bamaturfguy, Dec 22, 1999.

1. bamaturfguy

bamaturfguy Guest

anyone had trouble with transmission on their 98 silverado's. manual says you can tow in o.d. but i've always heard not too. if it will do it i need to to save gas. pull about 4000# daily with it.

2. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Call a local trans shop. The call is free, and so is the advice usually. Call a few, and see what the consesus is. If you've used a shop in the past, or a friend has, and liked their work, call them. If not, just start random calling.<br>Stopping by the dealer, and talking to one of the mechanics personally, may be helpful as well.<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The damage is acused by overheating the fluid. If you have the heavy duty auto trans you will be in better shape. I would install an extra tranny cooler and shift into overdrive only when at crusing speed. At speed on the interstate the tranny will be fine, it is when you lug the tranny on back roads causing extra shifting between third and OD. By eleiminating that problem you should have little problems. Also by owning a GM you have the best Auto Trannies on the market. <br>Dino

4. SevnthWarrior

SevnthWarrior Junior Member
    from Ca

"Also by owning a GM you have the best Auto Trannies on the market. "

I am a Born and Raised Chevy Loyalist....but this statement Kills me.
    I have had 7 Chevy Trucks in the past 12 years, EVERY SINGLE ONE of them needed the Tranny replaced, some up to 3 times, all by Professional Shops, even the Dealer.
    That last two times this happened? Last year - Christmas Eve, 37K on a 99 Z71,.... and an hour ago......67K on a 99 Z71 (different one)
    Since the Corporate Death of the 350/400 Turbo's, All ALLLLLLL Chevy Tranny's SUCK!....Period.
    Rear Ends suck too, but then they always have.
    I buy ONLY GM cars/trucks....but facts are facts, and I just named a couple.
    SW

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

4l80 is a good trans, 4l60 is alright but I definatly wouldnt pull in OD with it. you got a 1/2 ton or what?

Also have blown up my share of 700's and the almighty 350's and have puked a 400 plwing also.

I like my allison alright :cool: I would definatly put it against any trans out there. Definatly think overall chevy has the baest trans.

If your beating on a truck and working it hard you really need to stay away from the 1/2 tons. JMO

Towing in OD *shouldnt* build any more heat than any other gear. Converter is locked and there should be no slippage going on. Problem is the holding power of OD is less, you are more likely to slip the trans and if you start to slip it it turns into a rapidly spiining downwrd spiral untill she pukes.

4k aint much of a load though.

10bolts do suck