1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny won't shift

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by radam, Dec 2, 2005.

1. radam

radam Junior Member

I have a 92 F250 automatic. I am low on trans fluid now, would that potentially be why I am unable to shift into gear? I have never had problems before. FYI the truck wasnt driven with low tranny fluid, I was making a repair where I suppose more drained than I thot. The engine idle changes slightly when shifting but nothing even remotely tries to clunk into gear. The blade was up and the parking brake was off FYI.

2. radam

radam Junior Member

It is too ironic that I had made a single cut in the transmission cooler line, fluid drained and now the no shift.

3. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Check your vacumn hoses making sure they are still hooked up. Their may be one on the transmission itself and another on top of the intake manifold. I have a 90 GMC 350--and the hose came loose--wouldn't shift--:cool:

4. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

I agree, Add fluid, run it for a bit check fluid add more if needed. Let it circulate a bit check it warm and running.

If that doesn't help it could be a linkage problem. I am assuming that the gear selector arm is still shifting as it should but the trans is just not finding the gear (more then likely just fluid) from the way i read your post.

All_Clear

5. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

ford

its a ford fix or repair daily
    by a chevy and u wotn haev a trouble:gunsfiring: anyways check the vacum hoses

6. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

check, relays and fluid level, dosnt sound as serrious as a TC yet, cross your fingers

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Fill it up and it should move. You drove it in without the problem so fluid must be the problem. Might of unplugged something like a vacuum hose too check for loose stuff.
    One FYI: (Fords)
    Really low fluid which will cause low operating pressure for the transmission, it can kill / damage the transmission if it is driven !
    Also no vacuum on some tranmission's will kill them too if they are driven.
    They might not die right away, but may die when heat stressed while plowing.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Since the truck is a 92 then the trans should be a E4OD, there are no vacuum lines going to it. Entirely electronic shift, so just check the fluid level, and make sure you didn't knock loose the solenoid body connector. (the big plug on the side that the trans cooler lines are on.)

9. radam

radam Junior Member

Thx all, it was the fluid. It was lower than I thought based on what was drained.

10. BROWNS SNOWPLOW

BROWNS SNOWPLOW Junior Member

ok the first problem is that its a Ford. I see you cut the tranny line If its a pressure line make sure when the line is repaired you use high pressure fittings. Ill use high pressure fittings on the return lines to better to overkill than to have it held together with a band-aid. I would drop the tranny pan a change the tranny filter it might be plugged the truck is not new. Then fill it up with new fluid. let the tranny get warm and recheck it. The fluid level for tranny is determined while its warm not cold good luck