1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Whining Noise In Reverse

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by danno, Feb 3, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ve got a 96 and when I put it in reverse, it makes a whine, increasing stepping on the gas. Sounds like a power steering pump running dry. It`s more noticable with weight on the truck, like ballast and plow. Also really noisy backing up a hill.
    There was a TSB from Dodge in 97 about a "reverse buzz". Anybody else have it ? Especially with a plow ? :confused:

2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

I got a Squeak in Reverse But only when it is cold, It goes away after like 3 minutes. Good luck

3. danno

danno Senior Member

There was a TSB on 90s rams that involved a "reverse buzz". And a RECALL, " reverse check ball and separator plate" which affects dodges with snow plows. The #s are 690 and 21-11-97A. Any body been involved with these problems ? It affects alot of mid- 90s Rams. They both involve transmissions.

4. 78W200

78W200 Member

I just read your post, been a while since I was here last, the whine you are hearing is the check valve. I was told by the local dealer that is caused by dodge running a high pressure in the tranny.Was also told this would not hurt anything.They said they could fix this but it would feel like the tranny was slipping when it was warm.BTW my truck is a 99 2500 5.9 my brother-in-law has a 97 1500 5.9 with the same noise.Both trucks have about 53000 miles and no problems with either one.

5. danno

danno Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. It actually started after I installed a tranny gauge and cut the cooling line out from the tranny. Lost some fluid from the tee for the tubing because it was loose. I thought it was air in the lines. Most of the noise has gone away since it was installed about 4 months ago, but its still there.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

it may be caused by how you installed the temp fitting....

7. lance49726

lance49726 Junior Member

I have a 96 and had the check ball fixed from the recall but still get the whining noise worst when it's cold out the only thing i found that fixed it was to add some more trany fluid till it goes away.

8. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

May seem obvious, but have you checked the fluid level properly?

1. Let the truck idle for 5-10mins with the transmission in NEUTRAL.

2. Check the fluid

Also, how does the fluid look? Is it still redish? If not, it might be time for a change ;)