1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny went out in reverse...HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Clean & Green, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Clean & Green

Clean & Green Junior Member

I have a 1992 Chevy k3500 with a 7.4L 454 (idk what tranny but its the hd tranny) i heard a pop and then gridning and i cant go in reverse but i can drive forward. I have the truck parked right now to avvoid any damage. SHould I rebuild, replace and what tranny should I put in if im gonna be plowing and towing a lot of the time?

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Well, for starters, it would be useful if you could even tell us if the trans is an automatic or stick and how many gears it has.

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We always have the existing trans rebuilt. Years a go I went to a big trans shop who swapped out my trans and had me back on the road in 3 hours. The trans was never right but they stood behind the warranty. Three trans later it was right. What a headache. Never had a problem with rebuilding the existing trans.

4. Clean & Green

Clean & Green Junior Member

Its an automatic