1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny trouble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Many times this winter when cold my trans slips in OD. It shifts fine up through the gears until fourth, but then when it goes into OD it slips and the engine revs up. Holding the throttle will eventually cause it to kick down into fourth and it's fine, but you have to hold the throttle to keep it in fourth, so you start speeding up, so instead what I have done is drop it manually into 3rd then it's fine. After about a mile it would be fine, seemed like the trans just needed to warm up (I always warm the truck up 5-10 minutes before driving it). Someone said it's a valve sticking when cold, nothing to worry about, but now I'm getting worried. Last night I plowed a parking lot that took me two hours, when I drove away it was slipping in OD, and the trans was definitely warmed up, don't know how much because my gauge is broken. Checked fluid and seemed to be just a little low, added half a quart and didn't make a difference. Plowed a half dozen more local driveways, then got on the main road and got up to 50, it worked fine. What do you think? I had a leak recently from a line, which I fixed and topped off, don't think it got very low or for long. I haven't changed the filter in about 30k, but I've changed the fluid in the pan about every 15k. Think a filter and trans fluid power flush would help at all, or is it more likely something electronic? Or does it sound like it's getting ready to fail? I should mention, I have worked it hard in all gears and it doesn't slip at all. It's a 4l80e with a giant factory cooler on it.

2. snowcan

snowcan Member

You need to to plug a scanner in. It will tell you what codes are stored in relation to the tranny problem and it does sound like you have shift solenoid issues which are very common on the 4l80e......repairable cheap.....some tranny shops will diagnose no charge but ask around and find a good one......sorry dude I don't know anyone in your neighborhood......good luck

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

When my tranny is cold going from 2nd to 3rd it will rev up about 700 rpm between the shift. Should I also be worried about this on a 15 month old truck. It only does it when I lay into it and it'a still less than opperating temp.