1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny temp gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikemac, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

any installed a tranny temp gauge on a silverado. I thinking about it.
    Mike

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

came with the tow package, nice to have.

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I have been thinking about buying one, but there expensive.
    Autometer has an electric one for $130.00, That will be the one I'll get a some point.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I used to buy B&M mechanical gauges for around $50. I recently came across an oil temp gauge in the garage, don't even remember what I bought it for its been so long. Its just a cheapie no-name, but it's the exact same thing, measures the same range as a tranny gauge and it works. I think the fluid return line from the cooler is the one to measure, all that matters is what you're feeding the trans according to my tranny shop. I used to always put them on the output and measure how hot it was getting coming out, but the shop convinced me you dont need to worry until you cant cool the fluid and you start putting hot fluid back in. I've plowed mine hard and not got the temp to barely even budge.

5. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

I would think that monitoring the fluid leaving the tranny is more important than the return after the cooler. Although its nice to know how much cooling is taking place. The biggest killer with auto tranny is fluid temp.

Here's temp fluid failure chart. Personally I think its way conservative, especially for dextron fluid.

[​IMG]

Remember once the fluid has reached a particular temp the damage is permanent.

Basically my point is that if your fluid temp is too hot on the return than your actual tranny temp is WAY to hot and most likely the fluid is degrading and or damaged. Most OEM temp sensors are in the tranny like valve body or sump.

Derek

6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

What year Silverado? 2001+ HD's have it built in. If you swap out the cluster it will be there and work. You can upgrade to an Escalade or Denali cluster too and get it as well. I got the Escalade in my '01 and it looks great.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Well, that's how I always saw it too, but the guy at the tranny shop convinced me otherwise. He's got 40 years rebuilding trannies so I tend to listen to him. The fluid coming out is supposed to be hot, but it's hard to tell what the overall fluid temp is by the output too, right? I mean, if you could gauge both lines and the pan, you may have 200 degrees going out of the trans, 150 coming back in from the cooler, but how do you know if the bulk of the fluid in the trans is closer to the 200 or the 150? Like I said, what he told me is that as long as you can cool the fluid it wont hurt it. But I know what you're saying, if the fluid coming out is too hot then some of the internals have to be too hot. Now I'm seriously considering putting a second gauge in...Like I said, mine never budges unless I spend an hour plowing a parking lot, but then it only creeps up a bit, never gets over 200. But my pan gets awful hot to touch.

8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I'm planing on installing mine inside it I can find a spot.
    if not It'll go into the pan but i doubt it.
    I just have to get down under a few and see where they put it at factory.

As far as changing out the cluster, I doubt you will have the wiring for your sensor already there. But I could be wrong.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If they're anything like Ford's tranny gauge, all they are is idiot lights and really are not helpful at all. Mine will be in the middle while my Autometer gauge hasn't even moved.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My Chevy shows temp in degrees. First one I've had and seems pretty useful.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've been running trans temp gauges on every truck I've ever had (even one's without a plow) and I always put the sender in the pan.Here's the deal.You need the sender in the pan,just like late model trucks are. It doesn't matter if the sender is in the outlet or inlet cooler line,or even in both line's,it wont tell you a thing about what temp the tranny's actually running.All it'll tell you is how efficient the cooler you have is.You want to know the actual running temp of the tranny so it has to be in the pan.Look at it this way,is your engine temp sender in your radiator hose? No. It's in the engine.Why? Because who care's what temp the coolant is after or before it's in the engine.You want to know the actual temp that the engine's running at.A trans is no different.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know Mark, I don't see the point of having a gauge that just goes up and down with no numbers to refference the temp. to. Our 06 F250SD is like that, our stays right in the middle but what the hell's the temp.:dizzy: