1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny temp gauge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikemac, Dec 18, 2005.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

anyone know where i can get a tranny temp gauge kit and how to install it?

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

any car parts or car performance shop will carry them. I know autometer makes one.

3. little pat

little pat Member

Summit racing has a great kit that includes a temp guage and a remote filter that does a better job of filtering the trans fluid than the trans screen alone.It's also really easy to install.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

BDPower, Bullydog, Bankspower.com, Summit as already mentioned, I like B&M myself, get them at most speed shops but cheaper online. Check Ebay, theres a bunch there. Usually run $50-$60 bucks. If you're poor like me try J.C. Whitney (JCW.com), they have them cheaper than anyone.
    I've found the best setup is a temp gauge to monitor it, a big cooler to control it, and an electric fan to switch on when you see the temp climb too high. Never rely on just the internal radiator cooler, that is too small and cooling is limited by the hot coolant trying to maintain engine temp. And flaming hot trans fluid can heat up the coolant also. Go through both if you can. If you've never plowed with a temp gauge, you will be shocked at how fast the trans temp goes up. People always used to say "don't use your truck for plowing, it kills transmissions" well, I found out why. If you didn't have the ability to monitor that temp, you'd keep right on plowing without a care in the world, and the fluid will only take it so many times. I'm trying to put a gauge in my truck right now, if only I could spend a few minutes in the garage without you-know-who hollering at me.