1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yooper.mi, Aug 30, 2005.

1. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I have a 94 Dodge 1500 auto 360 and would like to put a tranny temp gauge in it. I never put one in before. Could use info on what kind (brand) where to put sensor on tranny,easiest, and where on dash ?
    thanks in advance for thoughts and experiences

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Brand= name brand like autometer for example. Any name brand gauge is fine- just don;t buy a no-name off Ebay or a Suntune from Walmart.

Location on dash- wherever you want it. all preference. Many people mount under the dash on the right of the wheel, many on top of the dash, many overhead. Wherever you want it.

location to install depends on the tranny. You can install in the pan- some have threaded plugs already for it- usually half way up from the pan bottom. The other common place is in the lines- usually the return line. If you have had the recall done (they recalled the tranny lines) you have a threaded plug in the return line already for one. Unless the fitting has an oring (doubtful on a line but possible on the pan) use 3 wraps of teflon tape (like any other pipe fitting) or form-a-gasket#2 to seal the threads.
    Watch where you run the wires to clear the exhaust and that's about it.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

I had my tranny gauge installed on the line coming out from the tranny. The line now has a T- fitting. It`s better to read the temp thats in the pan, than install a fitting going before it goes into the tranny.
    Also, had my gauge mounted on the pillar. This way it won`t obstruct other gauges.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

just remember the temp of the fluid in the pan can vary by a substantial amount from the top to the bottom of the pan. Have heard as much as 50 degree difference.
    The new trucks and the trucks recalled for the lines have the fitting in the line where it really should go. It might be the send line not the return line.

5. danno

danno Senior Member

The send line is the line coming out of the tranny, correct ? Also, what Dodge trucks and year, was the tranny line re-call ?

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

All Ram pickups (1500-2500) were affected, 94-97 I think. The lines have a plastic fitting in the connector that was melting causing failure. Dodgeram.org (I believe) has a list of all recalls for 94+ trucks- check there for the specifics or call your dealer and have him do a VIN check. My Diesel was not listed in the recall- gas engines only I believe, but if you replace the lines now the only ones available are the new ones which forces you to do the recall since adaptors are needed for the line containing the anti-drainback valve.

There are 2 lines coming out of the tranny- send and return. Fluid goes out from the tranny to the radiator, out of the radiator to the cooler, from the cooler bacxk to the tranny if you have a cooler- if not from the tranny to the radiator and then back.

7. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I used one made by DiPricol which matched my gauge layout. White face blk/dark blue lettering red pointer and green glow at night. I used the A-piller gauge mount from the SRT-10