1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

I'm thinking of installing a TTG, so naturally i have a few questions:

a. pros and cons of electrical or mechanical gauges
    1. is one easier to install?

b. what should the max temp be?

c. could i use a "water" temp gauge?

d. what is the range of max operating temp in tranny?

thanks guys (and gals) :drinkup:

ken

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

3. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

thanks for that chart big nate. i just saw it on the net somewhere in the past couple of days (it's what got me started thinking about this.......)

where was that chart?

ken

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

www.summitracing.com sells a B&M tranny temp gauge kit, it has the gauge, line and all fittings required, you have to pull the pan to drill the hole for the hardware, it is a perfect time to put a drain plug in too

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

When I installed mine, I tapped into the 'out' cooling line, I thought that was a more accurate measure of the temperature of the atf. I went with an electrical gauge, for ease and flexibility of installation. I put it in an A-pillar pod. You can view it by following the link in my sig.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The trans cooler line is more accurate,but it will also fluctuate more under load.It is also a little harder to install,as you have to modify the lines,creating the posibility of leaks or failure,especially if you use rubber hose.Also,depending on the fittings used,you can actually restrict cooler flow and damage the trans.

The pan is the easiest place to put it,and shows a more consistant temperature.

7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I just posted in another thread. I have the ISSPRO tranny temp gauge on my Ford F-250. There is a port already tapped with a plug on our trannys. This port, or the pan is the most accurate place to install the sender. It shows the average temp of all the fluid. The OUT line to the cooler could show a momentary increase in temp that you might not really care about. The overall temp is what you are interested in. There are many sites on line that sell the gauges I got mine at Diesel Injection Service for $64.00, includes the gauge and sender.